Unknown maker's mark

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
SimnKaff

Unknown maker's mark

Post by SimnKaff »

This Guild of Freemen of London medallion has a maker's mark of W.J.C that I can find no references for. I'd be grateful if anyone recognised it and could fill me in. The other marks show it to be of London manufacture, made (possibly) in 1912 and .925 Sterling silver. Those marks I found on this site. The medal belonged to my grandfather and I should like to know more about it.
oel
co-admin

Re: Unknown maker's mark

Post by oel »

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Check out W J Carroll Watchmaker & jeweller, London Street, London EC3 & Wallbrook, London EC4
See:
http://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Make ... WK.html#WJ

Best,

Oel.
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

The mark in the link is a Birmingham mark, not a London mark, but Carroll also registered marks at London. Interestingly enough the mark registered for London has a different punch shape. I based my Birmingham attribution on a mark registered at Chester on the premise that many Chester marks were also used in Birmingham. It would seem that, by mistake perhaps, they have used the wrong mark for this medal.

Phil
SimnKaff

Post by SimnKaff »

Thanks for this information. If I understand you correctly, the London attribution (based on the middle stamp on the right resembling the London Leopard's head) is probably a mistake by the stamper. Do you think the date letter corresponds to London or Birmingham?
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Apologies for this late response to your query. It's definitely a full London hallmark. The uncrowned leopard's head has lost some detail to 100 years of wear but all of the punch shapes are distinctly London and would identify the location even in the absence of any detail.

Phil

Return to “Silver Jewelry - Single Image”