FAUX, John ?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Aguest
contributor

FAUX, John ?

Post by Aguest »

I think I found it, JF with the incuse head on a pair of tongs.

buckler

Re: FAUX, John (Grimwade p.506)

Post by buckler »

Very many thanks.
Unfortunately I do not think this is the recorded mark of John Faux. See pictures on prior postings . His little flower-heads are very distinctive !
However, my wife , being a collector of tongs, has never seen your mark and would much appreciate a picture of the tongs and their marks please. Assuming the mark is actually TS, the only London possibilty appears to be Thomas Shaw's mark of 22 June 1785.( Grimwade No 2934, page 208). We are not totally sure on the first letter being a T but the second is almost certainly an S . It could be a provincial pair, hence the request for images of the Lion Passant !
Clive
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I see what you mean about the lion passant:::

Even the incuse head of King George looks strange, now that I look at it closely!!!
Could you, kind sir Buckler, take a moment to look at the other pair of Provincial Sugar tongs that I have listed in the Provincial Marks sub-forum?

I wouldn't be surprised if these were provincial, I bought a big collection of spoons and many of them have turned out to be provincial or unidentified.
I can't even figure out if the Scottish Provincial spoon is Scottish Provincial or early American!
buckler

Post by buckler »

Many thanks .
Definitely not marks of any English Assay Office ! The Lion Passant appears from his tail to be connected to a high voltage cable, poor thing !
Can we have a picture of the actual tongs please ? That may give a clue
Then I think these posts could be transferred to the Provincial Marks sub-forum if Trevor could be so kind .
Aguest
contributor

Re: FAUX, John ?

Post by Aguest »

I'll put together a thread in the provincial sub-forum, and then we all may comment thusly :::

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”