JHW makers mark, help identifying.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
PhilB

JHW makers mark, help identifying.

Post by PhilB »

Hi,
I recently bought a Sterling silver wedding basket. From the marks, I know that it was exported (Sterling), that it is Sterling (Lion) that it is from Birmingham (Anchor), and that it is from 1910 (l) However, looking on the website, I do not see a maker with JHW initials. Can anyone help to identify who this was? or are some makers lost to the annuals of history, and I should not worry about it. It is such a beautiful piece, that I would think there are other pieces from the same maker. Any help would be appreciated.
https://www.box.com/s/n4t92ul34vgmbyewvrfu
https://www.box.com/s/o495uok4gvo71bgohk3e
https://www.box.com/s/cy4uyw71sf3ukvvgwbd6
oel
co-admin

Re: JHW makers mark, help identifying.

Post by oel »

Hi welcome to the forum.

It could be J.H.W for; John Henry Wynn registered around 1899-1938 and located; Hylton Street, Birmingham.

Oel.
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Yes, this is John Henry Wynn, of 42/44 Hylton Street, Birmingham. He registered a series of near-identical marks with the Chester Assay Office from c1892 through to 1919 where he was initially described as a "ring maker" and then later as a jeweller.
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Thank you so much. This site is fantastic. I appreciate all the help.

Phil
Celtic Dreams

Post by Celtic Dreams »

I too have this same queer. A gold Masonic ring. J.H.W 9 .375 anchor and italic S

The date is "definatley" Birmingham 1967 with an italic S with serifs. The initials & style match John Henry Wynn, precisely. But it seems far too late to be the same maker, Could this hallmark still be the same company even in 1967?
MCB

Post by MCB »

Welcome to the Forum.
It's possible the business founded by John H Wynn continued to 1967 and items carried the same mark he registered however there are no internet advertisements in the name now. Equally the mark could have been registered by another but it would be unusual that such a maker was also a ring maker.
It's also possible that the date letter has become distorted to appear to be the one for 1967. For the Forum to consider this an image of the hallmarks will be needed.
Alternatively, as the more modern Birmingham maker's marks are not well covered in published works, you may choose to put your enquiry to the Assay Office. If this course is taken would you please let us know the outcome.

Mike
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

J.H. Wynn Ltd, jewellers, are listed in a 1968 Birmingham telephone directory at 186 Soho Hill, Birmingham, so the company founded by Wynn was in business in 1967.
Targo

Post by Targo »

Hi , i also have question about that hallmark , got gold ring with markings JHM 9 375 ⚓️ A , can anyone help me to understand what that all means , thanks
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please start a new topic with images of your item and the marks.

Trev.
Sheilac

Post by Sheilac »

Hi,
I found a couple of days ago, a 9ct gold ring with the JHW hallmark.
The ring has a double snakehead with red garnet stones (referring to what the jeweller said) on the head. The one I found has only one stone and one missing.
From the other marks on the ring, I can see is been made in 1928 but I can't find the same one on internet anywhere so I was wondering if someone here knows more about the ring?
<removed - please read our guidelines>

Thank you,
Sheila.
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Hi Sheila and welcome to the forum.

Please read and comply with dognose's request to a previous poster immediately above your post. Include pictures as requested in our Posting Requirements and ensure that your post satisfies forum rules. You will note that part of your post has been removed for transgressing our rules - you will no doubt remember what it was that we don't like.

Phil

Return to “Birmingham Hallmarks”