Silver Cat

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
JanGroen
contributor

Silver Cat

Post by JanGroen »

Good Evening
Bought this charity shop find in South Africa for $0.25. Thought it was just a tin cat but when I started to clean it, proper silver hallmarks appeared. It is Chester sterling silver from 1926 and is 4cm high. It was maid by William Vale & Son. WV did made other animal stuff like rattles, napkin rings and salt shakers, but they are usually bears. It is hollow but there is no solder marks that show that it was connected to anything else. Did find resin pieces inside it. I filled it up with candle wax to make it more sturdy. Any idea what it could have be. What can it be used for or should it just stay a figurine? The piece were made by soldering the front and back together and there is a small hole forming on the edge. I was wondering if I should fill it with some tin/sink flatten the base to make it more sturdy. Will this bring down its collectors value?
Jannie

AG2012
contributor

Re: Silver Cat

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
How did you manage to fill it with wax? Is the head removable? Or was it through the hole?
It could be pepper pot (many have only one hole), but they are filled either via removable head or have the stopper at the base. If not it`s a figurine.
Do not attempt anything with lead, pewter, plaster or whatever. It will ruin it.
JanGroen
contributor

Post by JanGroen »

Good Morning
It has a very crude oval hole of around 1cm in the bottom. It has no other holes for pouring out salt or pepper. I still have the feeling it was attached to something else. Very flimsy for just a figurine. I will just keep it filled with wax. Was thinking of sticking it onto a piece of marble or other solid base or should it be left alone?

Jannie
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

It could be baby rattle (William Vale & Son. made baby rattles), It does not look too heavy, right?
If so, the handle is missing (the hole must have had an extension for the handle to fit in). There was probably a ring at the top to fit teething ring made of mother of pearl or ivory.
Really cannot suggest what to do with it. I would leave it as it is. Gluing to a suitable base makes sense. Just use water soluble glue.
Regards

Return to “Chester Hallmarks”