Help! Identify hallmark on (old) earrings?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
love

Help! Identify hallmark on (old) earrings?

Post by love »

Hello!
I was wondering if anyone has any tips toward what this hallmark may be.
These earrings belong to my grandmother, who is in her mid-90s. She cannot remember how long she has had them, but would love to know more about them.
I've been told in my quest for info that they are likely not Native American, the only other thing that I can think of would be possibly Middle Eastern, but I could be wrong on that as well.
The hallmark stamp is VERY tiny on these, I've taken the best macro shot that I could.
Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance. :)
love

Re: Help! Identify hallmark on (old) earrings?

Post by love »

Edit-I see now that my "hallmark" is probably a purity stamp, and is upside down :-p
Can anyone tell me what it means, though?
I believe that all of the stamps (a few on the hanging disks, as seen in the first photo) are the same image on these earrings, but I will double check.
love

Post by love »

There is three stamps (two on one earring, one on the other), all three are the same.
SteveDWollongong
contributor

Post by SteveDWollongong »

Hi,

The stamp reads:

Assayed in Cairo, of 800 purity.

The lack of either the cat or later lotus flower stamp plus no Egyptian date letters suggests your earrings may have been made before 1916 but that's not conclusive. Hopefully another member with more knowledge in this field can provide further details.

Cheers,
Steve
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Incomplete set of marks, but made in Egypt, Cairo, Arabic numerals for .800 purity.
Regards
love

Post by love »

Thank you both very much for the info, that is great to know. A shame that there isn't other stamps to learn more! Perhaps someone will recognize the style of the earrings, and can provide a roundabout date on them.
dnl
contributor

Post by dnl »

Hello,
The hallmarks are incomplete most likely because of light nature of the design and construction. Assay offices often would err on the side of caution and strike a delicate piece with the most important mark first and then decide if another mark is safe to strike or not.

Egypt did not use or even have this mark prior to 1916, and the use of the double zeros in the fineness (800) was not started until 1947.
The appearance and design could make the piece even more modern. Normal weighted items usually will have a date mark and a metal specific country mark as well. You may want to look further along the raised edges of the frame work to see if there is not some evidence of additional marks though the mark would only be partial.

Hope that helps.

Return to “Middle East”