WMF/WMFN , ostrich,I/O Marks on set of Lobster picks ID Help

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
gil957

WMF/WMFN , ostrich,I/O Marks on set of Lobster picks ID Help

Post by gil957 »

Greetings! I have a set of 8 lobster/shrimp forks. some are hand struck WMF(some double struck) and others WMFN, all have a running ostrich and have a second mark looks like I/O. most of the marks are in different order or locations as well.
Haven't been able to find another set. Can some one tell me more about these. I know that they are german(Wurttembergische Metallwarenfabrik) and from the art nouveau period but that's about it.
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, the marks are all WMF marks, the additional N indicates the base metal nickel silver. The I/O is for the standard plating used by WMF: 1 gramm of fine silver spread on 10 by 10 centimeters. The placing of the marks has no meaning, the designer is not known. Best wishes, Bahner
gil957

Thank you Bahner

Post by gil957 »

Thank you. That is very helpfull. Just what I needed to know. Gil
marycat

Re: WMF/WMFN , ostrich,I/O Marks on set of Lobster picks ID

Post by marycat »

I have a set of 6 identical fruit knives. Only 1 in the set has a makers mark of a pictorial ostrich, followed by a rectangle containing "WMF", followed by a square containing "I/O" ON THE BLADE. The other five (again, I reiterate, IDENTICAL) each have the same markings on the blades: A square containing "IS", the a tiny circle with what looks like a "crown", but I cannot be sure, followed by a rectangle containing "NS".
I know they are very old, and are very beautiful, but I would love more information about them. I joined this board in hopes of some help, I hope I am going about it the right way.
oel
co-admin

Re: WMF/WMFN , ostrich,I/O Marks on set of Lobster picks ID

Post by oel »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please start a new topic with images of your item and the marks.

How to Add Images

Posting Requirements

Embedded images get a far greater response than just posting links.

Remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post.

Oel.

Return to “Silver Plate Trademarks - Single Image”