Is this old or new? Real Antique or Not?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
missfortescue

Is this old or new? Real Antique or Not?

Post by missfortescue »

Hello,

I have seen a couple of sellers both on eBay and Etsy with a similar ring to this one (please see attached photograph), referring to the ring as 'Antique' and dating to about the 1910-1920s.

The ring looks to me as Chinese Turquoise set on silver (not sure about fineness), with a mesh-like structure and enamelled work all around. The band is adjustable. It's rather beautiful.

Inside it is stamped 'CHINA SILVER'.

I have a few questions regarding this piece and I am hoping someone might be able to help me.
1. Is this real antique?
2. Have you seen anything like this?
3. If so, what's the Silver Fineness of the piece?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

davidross
contributor

Re: Is this old or new? Real Antique or Not?

Post by davidross »

I think that wholesale queries about items "similar to this one" appearing on online auction sites comes perilously close to breaking the Forum's posting rules, to wit: "3. No linking to auctions or posting photos from another's auction."

As the Forum is devoted primarily to the discussion of silver marks, without posting a photo of the actual marks in question, it is impossible to answer any query about either those marks or the item into which they have been stamped.

Furthermore, I would not wish to publish a blanket opinion here regarding the age or authenticity of hundreds or thousands of items that I have not examined myself in person.

Finally, if the OP has a question about an item now in her or his possession, he or she should post photos of that actual item. And if the OP wishes to learn more about how Chinese silver, both antique and modern, reading through past posts in the Far East section, as well as in the Jewellery section, should in time reveal all the answers to the questions posed.

I leave it to our Admins to chime in if this reply is not satisfactory.

DR
missfortescue

Post by missfortescue »

davidross wrote:I think that wholesale queries about items "similar to this one" appearing on online auction sites comes perilously close to breaking the Forum's posting rules, to wit: "3. No linking to auctions or posting photos from another's auction."

As the Forum is devoted primarily to the discussion of silver marks, without posting a photo of the actual marks in question, it is impossible to answer any query about either those marks or the item into which they have been stamped.

Furthermore, I would not wish to publish a blanket opinion here regarding the age or authenticity of hundreds or thousands of items that I have not examined myself in person.

Finally, if the OP has a question about an item now in her or his possession, he or she should post photos of that actual item. And if the OP wishes to learn more about how Chinese silver, both antique and modern, reading through past posts in the Far East section, as well as in the Jewellery section, should in time reveal all the answers to the questions posed.

I leave it to our Admins to chime in if this reply is not satisfactory.

DR
Hello, this is actually MY photo and this is the ring I refer to that I own. I also took this picture myself. The marks in question is in the second photo, as you can see it is marked 'CHINA SILVER' on the underside of the ring.

I apologise if that was not clarified in the original post.
davidross
contributor

Post by davidross »

My apologies and my very best compliments to the OP, whose photos are of such truly professional quality that they would be easily mistaken for those of a power seller on one of the online auction sites mentioned in the original post.

As my earlier response noted, the marks photographed have already been discussed here in prior threads, so that any users reading through can draw their own conclusions.
missfortescue

Post by missfortescue »

davidross wrote:My apologies and my very best compliments to the OP, whose photos are of such truly professional quality that they would be easily mistaken for those of a power seller on one of the online auction sites mentioned in the original post.

As my earlier response noted, the marks photographed have already been discussed here in prior threads, so that any users reading through can draw their own conclusions.
Thanks very much - I will search the forum for the threads you have mentioned. All the best.
davidross
contributor

Post by davidross »

Not at all, my pleasure.

Return to “Far East”