Danish Silverplate Marks for the website

For information you'd like to share - Post it here - not for questions
Pru

Re: Danish Silverplate Marks for the website

Post by Pru »

Just a little more confirmation. Here is a picture of the marking to a blade which is also marked to the handle with the lighthouse marking and the AP mark.
Pru

Post by Pru »

Well there should be a picture. The knife blade reads A.Prip Denmark and the handle has the same markings as shown above with a lighthouse and the AP mark.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Pru,

Welcome to the Forum.

Try this: How to Add Images

Regards Trev.
Pru

Post by Pru »

Thanks, I have got my act together now. I have a cutlery set marked with the AP and lighthouse marks as above. The cake knife is marked to the blade as descibed in my earlier post. The photos are now properly submitted. The A Prip cutlery always has ornate designs seemingly not used by other makers as is often the case with many Danish cutlery patterns.

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Pru,

Many thanks for the information.

Trev.
Pru

Post by Pru »

As the links above are now obsolete I will attempt to display as many Danish silver plate marks as I can.

There is a great website with the history of Cohr silver and the marks used by them which are very useful.

This information is given in a history of Cohr silver at

http://www.cohrsilver.dk/cohr/index.htm

The first photo below shows the torch mark that was registered in 1929 by the "Common Representation of Danish Goldsmiths" (FDG) as a trademark. They wanted it to be used as a quality mark for silverplate sold by the members only.

The torch mark is shown with letters FDG this was used from 1929 to around 1932. The letters DFA stand for Dansk Forsølvningsanstalt København as above. The name DANA which I think may be the trademark for the silver plate produced by the company the same as Cohr used ATlA as their silver plate trade mark. I have seen DANA on many cutlery patterns. I may be wrong but it seems logical. Last is P for plet meaning the piece is plated.

The next shows the same era torchmark with larger letters and also shows Cohr Silver's trademark for silver plate ATLA in usef from 1926. It also has a DTA mark for The National Association for Danish Enterprise, an independant organisation created to support and market Danish produced consumer goods in Denmark and abroad. ( see Cohr history link above). The last mark is 30 indicating the thickness of silver.

The last mark in this group again shows the torchmark with small letters FDG has the name ABSA and the detailed figure of Absalon. As above I think the ABSA may be a silverplate trade mark for the Absalon Silver. There is a P for plet meaning plate.

Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello I assume this to be another “M.T.B” mark by the makers “Madsen & T.Baagoes” as referred to earlier in this thread by Hose_dk.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-qDgJ ... PN+003.jpg

(admin photo edit - images too large - link only - see Posting Requirements )

The marks are on a serving spoon and could anyone confirm the relevance of the “S” mark? Is it an alternative to the "P", "plet" mark?
Yours,
Fishless
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

P is Plet = plated
S has no meaning in Danish silver. I assume that S is therefor a mark that customers should relate to silver - in their mind. A guess, but a fair one.
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello I found some more Danish silver plate spoons and currently I don’t think there is an image of the these marks on the thread for comparison.

If these were British electroplate spoons the “N.S” would be expected but Hose_dk said the “S” for silver was not usually seen on Danish “plate”. Could items specifically made for export have the “N.S” added? The spoon is certainly of better quality than “day to day” use spoons. Is the figural mark, I see as a “cog”, a known Trademark of any particular company?
Hope the picture size is ok this time.

Fishless
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

A newly posted group of variant marks from a singular service set of one pattern, all of which might link to COHR product in pleet/plet/plate (numerous marks with two tower variants in each case):

https://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopi ... d6#p218097

Return to “Contributors' Notes”