B.O.Y. hovedvandsaeg

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
needy

B.O.Y. hovedvandsaeg

Post by needy »

Does any one know these marks. Date letter or maker. Also would the little one have hallmarks. I read on one of the post maybe master silversmith struck marks up to four times?
Zolotnik

Re: B.O.Y. hovedvandsaeg

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi needy -
it is from Norway.

source:

The small one is contemporary (new)!

Regards
Zolotnik
needy

Post by needy »

Hello Zolotnik,
Wow! Thank you very, very much. I will try to find one of these books. One of the oldest silver we have found.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Though some have been reproduced fairly recently, the smaller one is typical of items made in the late 19th-early 20th century - have seen them (with and without crowns) bearing American and British marks, as well as Continental. Intended to hang from chains, chatelaines or bracelets, and usually marketed as for coins or bon-bons, but have also seen them with strikers for matches.

~Cheryl
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

This is interesting indeed. Mind my asking Zolotnik but the text above the blue line is not from the showed book. I would be interested in knowing what is the source for that because in the text below the blue line with the mark #1282 is written that the attribution is not waterproof. The mark might be Trane. Moreover it says that Trane was very poor and a cheater. Interesting indeed...
needy

Post by needy »

Thank you Cheryl for info on small crowned heart very informative. I guess I should consider the larger scent heart a Luktevannshus. When my 9 year old granddaughter first saw scent heart she told me this was a boys silver heart made by ET the extra terrestrial. I have to say all things considered I respect Zolotniks classification/documentations more correct than hers. I have translated script using google translate to:
Emanuel Trane, b. ca. 1707, probably identical with Emanuel jeweler resident Brevik from December 1735 to December 1737.
utterly impoverished...runaround cheats...1747 Emanuel Trane resident Brevik to his death.
Buried on 10 January 1755. See Larik, Fredrikstad and Arendal.
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi needy -
here an other of the "modern" little remakes which Cheryl mentioned. Even with a small sponge for the favorite scent ...like the old original ones.
Silver content 925/1000 (Sterling), maker (many) unknown.

Regards
Zolotnik
needy

Post by needy »

It sure makes a pretty key chain. Looks like a good Christmas gift to daughter.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

The fairly recent heart attached to the keyring, with a typical '925' mark, is a copy of a common design produced by American firm Foster & Bailey/Foster Bros., it can be found in old retailer catalogs and advertisements, those shown below are from 1901 and 1917 respectively. The match safe heart is by British firm Minshull & Latimer, dated 1900.

~Cheryl

needy

Post by needy »

Thanks everyone for info. I can see worn on necklace or chatelaine. Looks a lot like the crown heart of photo on right. I kind of thought this item was a tourist trinket. I did not want to sound gullible but when found had a little note in it that said bought at Herrods belong to queen Victoria. It looks like cast 800 silver with heavy gold washed interior. My daughter collects key chains thought it would make a great stocking stuffer.
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Great!

Hi (admin edit)

Now on eBay auction with the gathered informations ....
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 01#p107201

Buy both and save on transport expence :-)))
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Guys,

I appreciate that some members resent the fact that their freely shared knowledge is used for the profit of others. I'm also aware that the shared knowledge has usually taken many years of hard work to attain and is given away in the blink of an eye, sometimes without even a word of thanks.

There are many members of this forum who are up to their necks in online auctions and providing they follow the rules of the website, they have always been, and always will, be very welcome. They are welcome because they give us an opportunity to discuss items that perhaps in the ordinary run of events we may never get to see, and thus learn about. Remember, the answers that are given to questions are not just for the OP, but for anyone interested enough to read them, what may appear to help the OP only initially, in fact may help perhaps thousands of others over the years.

Over the years there have been several members who have joined the forum as online sellers seeking information, and have repaid the help given many times over by becoming active on the website and/or providing images for our use, often going out of their way to get them to us.

It should also be remembered, that just because someone sells items of silver online, that that means they cannot be a serious collector/student of other items of silver. I'm sure many members have disposed of pieces of of silver when their collections have become less eclectic.

This forum has been successful because of the willingness of its members to share, let's keep it that way.

http://www.925-1000.com/ebaynote.html

Trev.

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”