french sugaring spoon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
fripou

french sugaring spoon

Post by fripou »

Hello everyone

I am at my parents and try to identify their silver

Here is a very nice sugaring spoon ; can you please tell me when, where, and by whom it was made ?

the first mark is a swan ; is this for 800 or 925 silver ?

the second is the makers mark ; I have no idea what it may represent. does anyone know it ?

the third is a crowned R

thanks in advance for your help

François
frenchie_myriam
contributor

Post by frenchie_myriam »

Bonjour Francois, Il faudrait une image plus precise du R couronne car c'est le poincon de la generalite de la ville qui determine egalement l'annee. Malheureusement, au cours des ages il y a une bonne dizaine de R couronnes dans les poincons francais. Neanmoins, il est certain que cette jolie cuillere date entre 1750 et 1797 puisque l'utilisation de la couronne dans les poincons a ete interdit par la revolution francaise. Vous pouvez trouver tous ces poincons dans un livre de Tardy que vous pouvez trouver dans toute bonne librairie et qui s'appelle POINCONS D'ARGENT 22eme edition publie par les EDITIONS REGIONALES DE L'OUEST en Mayenne.

J'espere avoir pu vous aider un petit peu. Cordialement. Myriam
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Hi Myriam,

I speak and read a bit of French, enough to understand your response, but would you mind translating your answer to this question so that the English speaking participants could benefit from your knowledge?

Thanks so much,

Cheryl ;o)
frenchie_myriam
contributor

Post by frenchie_myriam »

Dear Cheryl, I do apologize and was probably too selfish and wrote in french. So here is the translation of my message :
It would be neccessary to have a clearer picture of the crowned R because it is the hallmark of the french city assay which also determines the year. Unfortunately in french hallmarks there are more than 10 crowned R. But it is certain that this spoon can be dated between 1750 and 1797 because the use of the crown in the french hallmarks has been forbidden by the french revolution. You can find all these french hallmarks in a book by TARDY called SILVER HALLMARKS 22nd issue published by EDITIONS REGIONALES DE L'OUEST which you can find in all good bookstores.
Best Regards. Myriam
hugo keymeulen

Post by hugo keymeulen »

hallo from the Flanders
This is a swiss sugar sifter,but there is nothing available about the hallmarks,
the crowned R could for refuss compagnie Bern firm of Rehfuss & Co. The firm was founded by Georg Adam Rehfuss (1784-1858) in 1815 and continued by his son Philipp Rudolf Rehfuss (1820-1866 but this is speculation,
the other one seems like a bird(chicken),There is a similar one but in a shield for Bazel,
a small city with the arms of Kleinhüningen — which was a separate city until it was incorporated into Basel at the turn of the 19th/20th century

the other is a french import mark from non contracting nations 01/07/1893 until 1970

The letter F is not an essai office mark.

I have 2 similar sifterspoons with these marks
hugo
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi,

Could the crowned R and bird like mark perhaps be an unattributed pseudo-mark on Hanau style silver.

Regards

Oel
Theoderich
contributor

Re: french sugaring spoon

Post by Theoderich »

in the 1780 Rostock in North-East-GErmany have also a crowned R as Hallmark.
Can You make a better image of this Marks?
Joerg
contributor

Post by Joerg »

Hello

the crowned R is definitely the makers mark from Rehfues in Berne, around 1850-1860. See "Weltliches Silber 2", the catalogue from the Swiss National Museum.
No help for the other marks

All the best

Jörg

Return to “Other Countries”