Silver headed bird

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
jtgo

Silver headed bird

Post by jtgo »

Could anyone give me any information about a glass bird with a silver head? The bird seems to be from Murano. The silver hallmark is Italian from Padova, Veneto but there is a blank where the registration usually is (hallmark = "925" in an elipse beside a polygon containing a "star" on the LHS and "PD" on the RHS). The bird size is 100mm long. There are no markings on the glass. Photos attached if I could work out how.
Terry
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Silver headed bird

Post by dognose »

Hi Terry,

Welcome to the Forum.

Your question cannot be answered without the required images. The below should help you:

How to Add Images

Posting Requirements

https://postimages.org is recommended. Embedded images get a far greater response than just posting links.

Remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post

For more information see:

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 82#p103282

Give some time to creating your posts and we'll give some time to researching and answering them.

Trev.
jtgo

Post by jtgo »

Thanks Trev.
See: Image
jtgo

Post by jtgo »

Being a Murano glass bird collector, I have little knowledge of silver hallmarks. Is it common for an Italian hallmark to have the registration mark missing? Does the fact that it is missing mean anything? I am keen to trace the origin of the glass and had hoped that if I could find the silversmith then they may lead me to the glass manufacturer.
Terry
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
I think reg. number cannot be missing, possibly not well struck.
It is post 1968 (the star on the left).And ``PD`` (I think) for Padova.
Looks like Murano gold fleck technique.
Try to identify the number between the star and ``PD``.
Regards
jtgo

Post by jtgo »

Thanks AG.
I have looked with a higher magnification lens and the gap between the star and the PD is clear, relatively bright and shiny with no obvious mark or indentation. The glass is solid and "scavo" or acid etched with what looks like two applications of an aurene type spray.
Thanks again for your help.
Kind regards,
Terry
jtgo

Post by jtgo »

Hi AG
With better light, I think you are correct. There is a vague impression of a 3 (or maybe a 9) to left of centre. I will try to get a better image.
Thanks again.
Kind regards,
Terry

Return to “Other Countries”