Silver Pill Box - Portuguese Tiffany?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Silverhound1628

Silver Pill Box - Portuguese Tiffany?

Post by Silverhound1628 »

I picked up this silver pill box a few weeks ago and I have some questions about the markings on it. First off, the lid appears to be made from 3 Portuguese coins, fused together. The bottom is signed "Tiffany & Co, Sterling Potugal". At the same time it has two sets of marks, one on the lid, and one under the lid, which appear to be the rooster head mark from Lisbon showing the item is 916 silver. I can't make out the other mark, which looks like it might be a makers mark. So my first question is, what is the purety, 925 or 916? Also, do you think this is an actual Tiffany item? Did Tiffany have a Portugal line of items? I can't find any info on the web regarding other Tiffany Sterling Portugal items. Thanks.

AG2012
contributor

Re: Silver Pill Box - Portuguese Tiffany?

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Not Tiffany (just look at the letters).
I suppose it`s .925 if it says ``sterling``.
Regards
Funkel
contributor

Post by Funkel »

This is the most similar brand I've found

Esta es la marca mas parecida que he encontrado

Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I have found a few sterling silver objects which various auction companies believe are genuine Tiffany objects made in Portugal...

I did have a Tiffany pill box stamped "Made In Germany" which also had a slightly crude hallmark such as this example, which is why initially I thought there was a chance this could be genuine.

Also, I have a similar pill box, constructed of three conjoined circles, so perhaps the form is a traditional Portuguese Pill Box form, my example has full hallmarks for Portugal, and they are among the smallest hallmarks I have ever seen....
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi Aguest -

I do not want to destroy your hopes -
but years ago this punches ( and the punches of other famous companies) were on the market:

Regards
Goldstein

Return to “Other Countries”