Help identify Silver enamel Box Marks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
gsmoggy

Help identify Silver enamel Box Marks

Post by gsmoggy »

Could anyone be able to assist in identifying a silver enamel box I recently purchased. I am not sure which country it is from. I would appreciate your help in identifying the marks also.

Regards
Guido
SteveDWollongong
contributor

Re: Help identify Silver enamel Box Marks

Post by SteveDWollongong »

Hi Guido,

The first mark looks like the top of a ? which is one of the maker marks belonging to J D Schleissner and Son of Hanau.

See here: http://www.925-1000.com/Fgerman_hanau_marks_01.html

cheers,
Steve
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Steve is right.The ‚‚sickle‚‚ mark is very distinctive.
They are still in business:
http://www.schleissner-silber.de/
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

many thanks Steve and Ag
I will look up the maker. What period do you think my box was made in.Are the marks classed as psuedo marks or original marks ?

Thanks again for the fantastic quick reply. Guido.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Steve gave you the link for Hanau silversmiths. As you can see this particular maker produced ^^Historismus^^ silver with pseudo Augsburg, Nuremberg, Paris etc marks. The ^^sickle^^ mark is their mark, so it`s not a pseudo mark.
Dating is difficult, most likely very late 19th century or early 20th century.
Something is suspicious here.Is tavern scene enameled on silver or on porcelain ? As far as I can see it was not painted directly on the lid but set, and not well set, by the way (red arrow).
Tell us about the enamel, what`s its back side ?
Regards

gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi Ag
the inside of the box has a gilt look the underside of the lid is silver(smooth) there are letters engraved under the lid M.K may have been a gift.The enamel looks very clear and crisp the detail i feel is great (that's why i bought it ,i probably paid too much) I have not seen a similar example yet looking online anywhere. Many thanks Guido.
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi members
Ag suggested that J.DSchleissner & sonhne are still in business .I have tried to make contact with no response.Does anyone know if they still exist or is the web site an old site?
Many thanks Guido.(Schleissner Faszination Silber was the company I was trying to contact)
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Many thanks Peter .I have sent them a message about my box.I will let the members know if I get a reply that it was made by them and when.
Regards Guido.
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

hi members
I have not had a reply from the Schleissner company .It looks to me that they are no longer in bussiness.
many thanks .Guido
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hello Members

I have taken a while since my last post there was a question on what the back of the top looked like ,i have posted an image of it ,do not know what the letters are for ( may be gift initials).
Have not had a reply from the company.
Regards Guido.

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
``MK`` initials were engraved, nothing to do with the maker.Most probably initials of the owner, gift recipient etc.
Regards
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi Ag thanks for your comments.
I posted the back of the lid because in an earlier post you thought the painting may have been on porcelain and you wanted to see the back. as you can read in my post I said they may be initials because of may be a gift.

Regards Guido.

Return to “Other Countries”