NEED HELP FOR ORIGIN, MAKER AND DATE

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
frenchie_myriam
contributor

NEED HELP FOR ORIGIN, MAKER AND DATE

Post by frenchie_myriam »

HELLO EVERYONE,

HERE IS A LOVELY SILVER DIP PEN AND I COULD FIND NEITHER THE ORIGIN, NOR THE MAKE OR DATE. CAN ANYONE HELP ? ON THE PICTURE, IT DOES NOT CLEARLY SHOW BUT THE NUMBER IS 835.

tHANKING YOU IN ADVANCE

BEST REGARDS
MYRIAM
http://img1.putfile.com/thumb/9/25808125734.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ImageImage
frenchie_myriam
contributor

HELLO EVERYONE,

I AM NOT 100 % SURE OF MY FINDINGS BUT I COULD TRACE THE L MARK IN MY RAINWATER AS BEING WARWICK STERLING CO, PROVIDENCE RI USA ACTIVE IN 1914. MAYBE IT COULD BE THAT THIS DIP PEN WAS PRODUCED IN SCANDINAVIA ( AS PER THE DESIGN ) AND IMPORTED IN THE US BY WARWICK STERLING CO.

WOULD BE GRATEFUL TO GET YOUR COMMENTS.

THANKING YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR REPLY
BEST REGARDS
MYRIAM
bukkus

Post by bukkus »

Hi, Gosh what a beautiful piece. I don't know who the maker is, but I can tell you the piece is Scandinavian, in the Dragestil style (literally, dragon-style). These motifs were very popular in the Victorian Era with the viking revival, I wouldn't place your piece any later than 1930's, though it's probably earlier. It's also likely a Norwegian piece, though I wouldn't rule out Denmark, and I've also seen Swedish examples of fountain pens in the dragestil, but Swedish stamps are pretty distinct, and these aren't Swedish marks.

...And just read the part about the L being an American import mark. If that's the case, my 1st 2 guesses would be H. Møller of Trondheim, and J. Tostrup, both of whom are Norwegians...of those 2, I'd pick Tostrup 1st due to the 1914 date you gave.

Hope that helped :)
frenchie_myriam
contributor

Dear Bukkus. Many thanks. and I agree with your idea of Norway and imported in the States/

Thanks again and Regards
Myriam
bukkus

Post by bukkus »

Hi, Myriam, some more info for you--I keep a library of sorts of item's I've come across, and I was able to cross check your pen with both Møller & Tostrup...it's definitely the same pattern as Tostrup, so either the piece was made by him or it's the same pattern manufactured by another designer, which would be unusual for the age of your piece (antique pieces are often reproduced by modern manufacturer's, but the date of your import mark indicates it's an original). So, without a maker's mark, I'm 99% sure it's an original Tostrup, if you'd like a copy of the pics to cross-check yourself, let me know :)
frenchie_myriam
contributor

Dear bukkus,

Thanks so much for your extensive search on my lovely dip pen. I would really be grateful if you could send me the picture you are talking about.

Looking forward to seeing it, have a lovely day.
Regards
Myriam

Return to “Other Countries”