Please help identify silver hallmark, maker's mark on Venetian gondola

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Gerox
contributor

Please help identify silver hallmark, maker's mark on Venetian gondola

Post by Gerox »

Hello All,
There is a beautiful, I think Venetian gondola 930 silver.
Hallmarked 930 and unidentified mark on the bottom.
On the side English import mark: Samuel Boyce Landeck – London, Sheffield Assay Office, Lion passant, sterling silver (925); Sheffield Date Letter: e =1897
I can't identify the silver hallmark, maker's mark on the bottom.
Can anybody help me with the determination of the manufacturer?
For any help I would be very grateful. Thank you!

Gerox
legrandmogol
contributor

Re: Please help identify silver hallmark, maker's mark on Venetian gondola

Post by legrandmogol »

Hi, it is a yet unidentified Hanau Germany pseudo mark made for export to Great Britain. There is a wonderful section on Hanau silver in the World Marks, Germany section of this wonderful website. Samuel Boyce Landeck is even listed as a known importer of Hanau Silver
Gerox
contributor

Post by Gerox »

legrandmogol wrote:Hi, it is a yet unidentified Hanau Germany pseudo mark made for export to Great Britain. There is a wonderful section on Hanau silver in the World Marks, Germany section of this wonderful website. Samuel Boyce Landeck is even listed as a known importer of Hanau Silver
Hi legrandmogol,
Thanks for your quick reply. Perfect.
Hanau had not come to my mind, did not think that a Hanau silversmith end of the 19th century just selects a Venetian gondola as a motive.
thanks again
Best regards
Gerox
Gerox
contributor

Post by Gerox »

legrandmogol wrote:Hi, it is a yet unidentified Hanau Germany pseudo mark made for export to Great Britain. There is a wonderful section on Hanau silver in the World Marks, Germany section of this wonderful website. Samuel Boyce Landeck is even listed as a known importer of Hanau Silver
Hi legrandmogol,
again to the mark.
I searched on the Hanaupage but do not find this brand there.
It is also not to be found under „Unattributed Pseudo-Marks on Hanau Style Silver“
Are you sure that this is a Hanau brand?
I found the importer Samuel Boyce Landeck.
Has Landeck perhaps also imported silver from other countries?
I have a doubt that this is a Hanau brand.
Best regards
Gerox
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

it is possible it is from another country but the 930 silver purity mark is almost certainly German. Most of the Dutch "Fakes" would be marked with genuine Dutch marks rather than a 930, also this is more in the Hanau Wheelhouse. They created a wide variety of fantasy items. Finally, There are many many unattributed Hanau marks. This website only lists a handful.
Gerox
contributor

Post by Gerox »

legrandmogol wrote:it is possible it is from another country but the 930 silver purity mark is almost certainly German. Most of the Dutch "Fakes" would be marked with genuine Dutch marks rather than a 930, also this is more in the Hanau Wheelhouse. They created a wide variety of fantasy items. Finally, There are many many unattributed Hanau marks. This website only lists a handful.
Hi legrandmogol,
Thanks again, yes, that's logical and could fit.
However, I would not have focused on Dutch, more on Italy, because I still can´t believe that a Hanau silversmith produces by hand (processing no factory product) a Venetian gondola and then these are exported.
I have not seen such or similar work from Hanau yet, but a lot of other great Hanau motives.
But you are absolutely right, the 930 suits Germany rather than Italy and the importer also refers to Hanau.
thanks again
best regards
Gerox
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

I would abandon the idea of Italy, because of the 930, and also because that boat does not look like a gondola and the person does not look like a gondolier.

Return to “Other Countries”