Re: Please help identify silver hallmark on Silver bowl

Post by Bellissimo »

Italian silver Venice
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Hi italian silver
My husband answered that the silver/gold content is mandatory, the identification mark is not mandatory and is like a trademark only, not connected to the license to make/sell silver/gold.
according to the law this is not true
The fact that your father in law was registered as "goldsmith repair" makes a big difference: he is not a producer. The fact of producing some items on command does not change that. Formally he repairs or changes the shape of an object already belonging to a person.
The fact that sometimes the law is not strictly followed is commonplace all over the world ... except in Russia, according to the Russian silver forum.
Regards
Amena
Italiansilver

Post by Italiansilver »

hi amena
I agree.
What my husband said and what is in the law doesn't match.
What is sure is that my father in law was registered for some time at the "camera di commercio" as "business for goldsmith repair/restoration" but he had the laboratory where I know he made his own creation on customer commisioning.
What I do not know clearly is if during the years he changed type of business and so dismissed the ID mark.
And what I know for sure is that he wasn't out the law. Because the shop was regularly controlled. An only in this spring I sent to the bump dozens of business books with the shop activity. I onky kept some. I have to check inside again.
At this point I don't know if my husband remember correctly, but I know that if I ask again to my husband I'll not receive better answer, because at that time he wasn't so indeed on this legal aspects.
Hi have some collegues that have parents or brothers that are silversmiths/goldsmiths I have to ask...or nearby my home there is a silversmith laboratory...I have to go and ask....
Italiansilver

Post by Italiansilver »

amena wrote: The fact that your father in law was registered as "goldsmith repair" makes a big difference: he is not a producer. The fact of producing some items on command does not change that. Formally he repairs or changes the shape of an object already belonging to a person.
This could be the point, maybe as first he was registerd as producer with his own ID, then (maybe due changing times, a due to the fact that he was not an extenssive producer) he changed the business as goldsmith repair, dismitting the ID and making only reduced number of items on commisioning.

Unfortunately I didn't went indeep on this subject in the past because I wasn' interested, and now both my parents in law are passed away.

I just asked to my collegues to investigate wiht his father...
I come back when I'll got an answer
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Just a note
although the St. Marco's lion has been used and misused in Veneto, it is not exclusive to that region.
Gerox
contributor

Post by Gerox »

Hi Italiansilver,
All cases that you keep are correct and acceptable. In all cases, however, the retailer is not just a dealer but also a manufacturer.
Here, the smaller silversmith works either in his own name or in the name and on behalf of the larger manufacturer.
In this respect 3 variants:
1. Own ID
2nd ID of the larger one
3. Both (2) ID
I am 100% sure about the decanters.
Both are marked "1 AL"
Luigi Cavezzale established in 1882 and later acquired by Alessio Cesa. The retailer mark on the right is “A. Odenwald – Pforzheim” Jewelery manufactory since 1882.
Same or similar, it copes with the importers.
I put a Venetian gondola into the forum today. Here, too, I am looking for the Italian manufacturer. The date is unique here by the English import brand.
Please take a look, maybe you can help me.
Italiansilver

Post by Italiansilver »

Gerox wrote: 3. Both (2) ID
Not sure what you mean...
Just for clarification when I say ID I refer to the progressive registration number + province IE <1 AL>
Never seen on the same object two different progressive registration number + province.
What you can see is the ID mark of the producer + symbol or name of the retailer customer.
Gerox
contributor

Post by Gerox »

Italiansilver wrote:
Gerox wrote: 3. Both (2) ID
What you can see is the ID mark of the producer + symbol or name of the retailer customer.
That's right and exactly what I meant by 3.
Italiansilver

Post by Italiansilver »

regarding marks history
I asked to my colleague with the father goldsmith...same carbon copy history of my father in law...
license as restorer, as first owner of the ID then dismissed in the 80's because it costed too much...
I have to go to a silversmith of a certain age to understand...
I'll come back once i have an answer...
:-)

Return to “Other Countries”