'All Seeing Eye' Hallmark on Pierre Lesperance Walking Stick?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
ChrisB13

'All Seeing Eye' Hallmark on Pierre Lesperance Walking Stick?

Post by ChrisB13 »

Hi all,
I have a walking cane made by Pierre Lesperance of Canada in the early 1800's I believe. It's been in England for many years but could have been anywhere after leaving Canada.
The hallmark that I can't find anywhere looks like an eye inside a pyramid. Hard to see in the photo but it looks like there are a few lines radiating out from the eye.
Can anyone tell me more about this mystery mark please?
Sorry if this is in the wrong place....there doesn't seem to be a thread for Canadian coin silver.

Aguest
contributor

Re: 'All Seeing Eye' Hallmark on Pierre Lesperance Walking Stick?

Post by Aguest »

Every time I see that "A 900" hallmark, I immediately think "Belgium" and I don't mean to disagree with the attribution of Pierre L. from Quebec, Canada, but if you could take a really close look at that "A 900" hallmark, it might lead you in the direction of Belgium...

I don't mean to mis-direct you, but Belgium is a possibility due to the presence of that hallmark, but if I am wrong, I apologize, others on this website have more experience with Belgian hallmarks, I have only owned a few pieces of Belgium silver, so I am searching for pics which could help you....
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

To me, this looks like a much later piece, perhaps of Belgian origin? Let's wait for other opinions.

Trev.
ChrisB13

Post by ChrisB13 »

Hi again,
Sorry, I got the year wrong.....late 1800's.
This is the information I received from 'justanswers.co.uk' following an online search......obviously it could be wrong.....

"PL is the mark for Pierre Lesperance,
a Canadian silversmith trained by Francois Sasseville. Lesperance became Sasseville's partner and successor in Montreal,Quebec, Canada. This is a cane with a hammered 900 silver top made circa 1880 by Lesperance. 900 purity silver is also called coin silver and is marked with the 900 mark in the series of hallmarks. Sterling silver, by comparison, is 925 purity silver"

I'm just really intrigued by the pyramid hallmark because it suggests a masonic connection or similar. The P.L could be a P.I.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi,

Indeed most likely a Belgian silver crown knob on a walking stick with a masonic connection, this could be helpful
http://www.ascasonline.org/ARTICOLONOVE69.html

Best,

Peter.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I sometimes make leaps of faith, but I researched some Masonic books and the mathematical symbol "PI" is talked about as being the "lost word" of Masonic History, and so I wonder if that "P.I." is also something to do with Masonry as well.

The beginning letter "P" kind of looks like an Omega turned on its side, the Masonic symbol for heaven, but you would have to look at it with a magnifying glass or even better a 10x Jewelers Loupe for the best interpretation of the hallmarks.

Return to “Other Countries”