FG shield or harp hallmark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dw171

FG shield or harp hallmark

Post by dw171 »

I can't figure out the country or maker this spoon is from. The hallmark looks like a shield or harp with the initials FG. Does anyone know where this is from? Spoon is a little more than 5 1/2" long. A light scratch test and tests as silver, I would say at least 800 silver. Thanks

Aguest
contributor

Re: FG shield or harp hallmark

Post by Aguest »

Is this the hallmark for the City Of Ulm?

This would be a shield with "Rabbit Ears" on the top, and sometimes the shield is seen without rabbit ears, but it seems as if your hallmark displays a very prominent set of "Rabbit Ears" I would think so? This hallmark was used from the 16th until the 19th century, and I would think your spoon is from 1825-1850 would be my best guess at attempting to date this spoon....

I am not sure who "FG" was, but the Silver Experts of Germany are quite skilled here....
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I'm not quite convinced of Ulm, or Germany, as of yet.... Still looking, but Germany is my first guess, even though the shield doesn't quite match the other Ulm shields I have seen, also the lack of a "zig-zag" assay mark raises more questions....

Possibly Denmark? Maybe the Italian States (before the unification of Italy, there were many different Italian States each with different hallmarks)?
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

It's Swiss, Gely Freres of Lausanne, successors to Papus & Dautun.

See: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... =fg#p13455

Trev.
Joerg
contributor

Post by Joerg »

As Blackstone states in the linked post, the Gély brothers were active as Gély Frères starting 1813. They were active until 1846.
Your spoon is from around 1830.
Regards, Jörg
dw171

Post by dw171 »

thank you all very much

Return to “Other Countries”