French Silver Set Marks Unknown

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Silubra

French Silver Set Marks Unknown

Post by Silubra »

I just bought this piece of silver, but I could'nt identify the marks. I've done lots of research.

I'd be happy about help.

Silubra
dognose
Site Admin

Re: French Silver Set Marks Unknown

Post by dognose »

Hi Silubra,

Welcome to the Forum.

Your images are not showing. The below should help you:

How to Add Images

Posting Requirements

Embedded images get a far greater response than just posting links or thumbnails.

Remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post

For more information see:

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 82#p103282

Trev.
Silubra

Post by Silubra »

dognose wrote:Hi Silubra,

Welcome to the Forum.

Your images are not showing. The below should help you:

How to Add Images

Posting Requirements

Embedded images get a far greater response than just posting links or thumbnails.

Remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post

For more information see:

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 82#p103282

Trev.
Hi,
thanks for your quick reply, I will accept your advice and will try it again
svc

Post by svc »

Your piece is Belgian, not French. It is clearly marked with 2nd standard silver mark used 1831-1868 for 800/1000 silver. Hope this helps
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Belgian silver coffee pot

Hi, indeed Belgian hallmark.The Janus head (2), for 2nd standard silver or 833/1000 fineness, used 1832-1869. The maker's mark boar's head under W for; Louis Frédéric Guillaume Wolfers. Born 31-12-1820 in Minden Germany, registered in Brussels 1852-1892 (died in St. Josse 22-01-1892). The mark next to the Janus head is unknown to me. It could be a retailer's (German) or owners identification mark or ?
Brussels silversmith. Louis Wolfers (1820-1892) produced his masterpiece in Augsburg (Germany) in 1838 and came to Brussels in 1842, where his brother Edouard and Guillaume already had a business. In 1856 he married Henriette Ruthenberg. In 1885 the workshops were expanded significantly and his son Philippe Wolfers became a partner of Louis Wolfers père et fils (1885-1897). Also, two other sons, Max and Robert, were active in the company.
http://www.divaantwerp.be/nl/collection ... -guillaume
The marks used by Louis Wolfers:

Peter.

Source; Walter van Dievoet, Algemeen repertorium van de edelsmeden en van de merken van edelsmeedwerk in België deel II 1798-1942
Dendriet
contributor

Post by Dendriet »

oel wrote:The mark next to the Janus head is unknown to me. It could be a retailer's (German) or owners identification mark or ?
Peter.

Source; Walter van Dievoet, Algemeen repertorium van de edelsmeden en van de merken van edelsmeedwerk in België deel II 1798-1942

Admin edit

The book of Walter van Dievoet.
See page 47
and mentioned in the book of R Stuyck.

Essayer:
Puttemans Charles Pierre
Born in Gent 13.3.1820
Active in Brussels 1858 – 1889

Dendriet
Last edited by oel on Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Thanks Dendriet for filling in the blank and give an answer to my question mark. The assayers mark it is.

Best,

Peter
Dendriet
contributor

Post by Dendriet »

Half-brother of Guillaume, Louis Wolfers had already spent some time in Brussels from 25 March 1842.

Returning to Germany before 1846, he returned to Brussels on 22nd June 1847.
According to a police report, "he was a jeweler , without works, and without means of existence.
His brother provided it, while waiting for him to be placed "(AVB, Police Fund, 362 MM).
One can admit that he worked as a companion at Guillaume's.

Louis was inscribed as a goldsmith and as a jeweler-maker in the Rue de la Putterie, 70,
on September 2, 1852, at the provincial register under No. 415, and on September 7 in the communal register under No. 185.

Thanks to a sum of 2,000 thaler-gold, inherited from his father, who had just died,
Louis had been able to rent a building in the rue des Longs Chariots, 17 (no. 23 from 1866), where he set up his goldsmith workshop.
He did not have a retail store, and was making for merchants.

Its activity developed very well, enabling it to reach the level of Auguste Dufour in manufacturing.
The punch of Louis, deposited in 1852, a head of wild boar with the letter W above, was inscribed in the copper plate No. 4, case 72

After the abolition of the state's surveillance of the quality of the precious metals and the suppression of the removal of the pins in 1868, Louis Wolfers retained his punch, albeit with a few modifications

Source: Dictionnaire de Orfèvres de Bruxelles au XIXᵉ siècle)

Dendriet

Return to “Other Countries”