Italian Marks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
agsearcher

Italian Marks

Post by agsearcher »

Hello. Could anyone help me with these marks. Looks like GV in the mark with the crown, and GF in the middle mark.
Thank you.

blakstone
contributor

Re: Italian Marks

Post by blakstone »

Very nice!

The marks here were used for a very short time – 1793 to 1803 – in the Kingdom of Sardinia. The crowned “VA” ( for King Vittorio Amedeo III) is the large assay mark, and the initials “GV” at the bottom of it are those of the assayer Giuseppe Veroni of Turin. The initials “MP” in the pelleted oval are those of the counter-assayer Matteo Promis of Turin. (Turin had an old practice of having different assayers for a piece to insure it met the correct fineness, which at the time was either the high standard of .916 or the low standard of .750. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell which from the marks).

The middle mark - St. John/Giovanni the Evangelist and the initials “GF” - is that of the maker, Giovanni Fino of Turin, working from 1762 to at least 1791 (your spoon would indicate to at least until 1793). He was a very good 18th century Italian maker.

Hope this helps!

Ref:
Ugo Donati, Marchi Dell’Argenteria Italiana (Novara: DeAgostini, 1999) p. 79, mark 479, p. 170
Vittorio Donaver & Roberto Dabbene, Argenti italiani dell'800, v. II Punzoni di aregentieri (Milano : San Gottardo, 1989), p. 188, mark 1185.
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Hello agsearcher
Thanks for posting these beautiful pictures, it's not easy to find these hallmarks so well struck and so well-photographed .
Can you post some technical data on photos and camera?
Thanks
Amena
agsearcher

Post by agsearcher »

Thank you blakstone for the info. You are a wealth of knowledge.
Amena, I just use my phone for pics, and more often than not they don't come very well I think.
Thanks.

Return to “Other Countries”