Help Identify Marks never seen before Bear Standing Picking from a Tree

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
gerkata

Help Identify Marks never seen before Bear Standing Picking from a Tree

Post by gerkata »

Hi all,
I need help,
I have set 10 dinner forks and 10 dinner spoons
clearely marked with markings I cannot identify.
I can read in the first square - Crown or 3 Tower Castle / Castle / 84
second square - Crown / Bear Picking from a Tree / 84
And I guess maker's mark : H or (R) or (K) LOBON

I found 84 number stands for silver content 875, the rest - country of origin, maker, year IS ELUSIVE, at least for me ...

Please help identify

Thank you
AG2012
contributor

Re: Help Identify Marks never seen before Bear Standing Picking from a Tree

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
Obviously, the marks are not Russian, and "84" does not always indicate the standard .875.
It can also represent a silver plate quality, quite often seen on French silver plate (with the maker's mark in a square).
In short, I think it`s French silver plate and let`s wait for answers with exact identification of the maker.
Regards
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

You have a great set of forks and spoons. They are Spanish, from Madrid.

The '84' refers to the year, not the silver content. In this case it is 1884.

The maker appears to be Bernardino Lobón, or perhaps his predecessor, as the initial letter does not appear to be a 'B'. Hopefully another member can tell us more.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

The business of Bernardino Lobón appears to have been acquired by Pedro Duran in 1905.

See: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 38&t=37670

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Can you post some additional images of the whole items, fork and spoon, back and front?

Trev.
Funkel
contributor

Post by Funkel »

Google Translation

In the book of marriages of the parish of San Martin de Madrid, (now disappeared) appears the following inscription:
LOBON RECIO, Bernardo
Silversmith diamond, native of the Tower of Esteban Habran, son of Lino and Nicolasa, natives of the Tower, married the 28 of February of 1886 with Teresa Rancho Guerra, native of Madrid, daughter of Jacinto and Francisca, natives of Recuenco In Soria and Madrid (53 Matrim. Fol. 131 vto).

It is very possible that it is the same silversmith and this would explain the first initial of the punch R of his second last name Recio.
It is known that Lobón was a cutlery maker and had his workshop in the Madrid street of Preciados, until in 1905 Pedro Duran acquired his business.

Attached an image of your punch from my file

Español

En el libro de matrimonios de la parroquia de San Martín de Madrid, (hoy desaparecida) aparece la siguiente inscripción:
LOBON RECIO, Bernardo
Platero diamantista, natural de la Torre de Esteban Habrán, hijo de Lino y de Nicolasa, naturales de la Torre, se casó el 28 de febrero de 1886 con Teresa Rancho Guerra, natural de Madrid, hija de Jacinto y de Francisca, naturales de Recuenco en Soria y de Madrid (53 Matrim. fol. 131 vto).

Es muy posible que se trate de la mismo platero y esto explicaría la primera inicial del punzón R de su segundo apellido Recio.
Se tiene constancia que Lobón fue fabricante de cubiertos y tuvo su taller en la madrileña calle de Preciados, hasta que en 1905 Pedro Duran le adquiriera su negocio.

Adjunto una imagen de su punzón de mi archivo

Return to “Other Countries”