Bulgarian alms plate?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Swineherd

Bulgarian alms plate?

Post by Swineherd »

Would appreciate help in locating the origin of this handsome alms plate.
Holy men described in something akin to cyryllic but it is not russian alphabet.
Hallmark seems to indicate a letter B for Bulgaria. The other-sign of a wheat ear?

Have no experience of the balkan hallmarks whatsoever.
Theoderich
contributor

Re: Bulgarian alms plate?

Post by Theoderich »

interesting
Theoderich
contributor

Post by Theoderich »

Swineherd

Post by Swineherd »

Thank you, the letter B sat on 3 legs mark is quite similar. However, the picture of silver open mussel does reveal in part written in cyryllic word: Konstanza .That is a place in Rumania!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constan%C8%9Ba

The plot thickens.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

If you are referring to this picture there are too many Greek letters and what looks like Konstanca is most probably the name Konstantin. Besides, Cyrillic alphabet is not used in Romania except on sacral objects (St Jacob and St Simon here). On the other hand, St Simon is written with Ω (omega) in Greek.Still, I opt for Greek provenance of this plate.They make sacral objects for all neighboring Orthodox churches. Although nicely hand engraved it`s not very old.
Regards
Swineherd

Post by Swineherd »

Thank you for your contribution. Also, when looking at the plate now, hanging elsewhere on the wall, I cannot help to notice that it has turned black! That makes me suspect the high purity of silver(950)alleged in those hallmarks. As the old Homer would say:Beware of the Greeks bearing gifts...to tourists.
twooddsocks

Post by twooddsocks »

I have recently purchased a snuff box showing identical marks to those posted by Theoderich.
Any suggestions as to origin welcome. Additionally my box is marked "1 & 20 BIZ" which I understand is an abbreviation for the German Jewish wish that you "live to be 120"
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please start a new topic with images of your item and the marks.

Trev.
twooddsocks

Post by twooddsocks »

I have made some progress with these marks.

Looking at those posted by others on this topic, especially Theoderich, it seems that the mark indicates '100 g', which derives from a German flatware standard. So this would indicate that we are dealing with a silver plate mark, where the '100 g' relates to the thickness of the plating.

I will post again if I can identify the maker.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Please see this post regarding this mark: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=54106

~Cheryl

Return to “Other Countries”