Fancy marks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
amena
contributor

Fancy marks

Post by amena »

Yesterday I bought this tea or coffee pot that has 4 fancy marks.
The tea/coffee pot has its own elegance, and it looks Middle-Eastern style.
It is made recently, but it seems to be made with the use of simple equipment only. Even the punches seem homemade.
Two of these marks are the same as those recently presented on the post "Please help me. Jug silver" by LACE- LACE. The one that represents a crown is different, but very similar. Really an odd coincidence.
Testing with file, I would say that the alloy is 800/1000 rather than sterling.
Any information or thought will be greatly appreciated
Amena
LACE-LACE

Re: Fancy marks

Post by LACE-LACE »

It is very interesting conincidence. I brought my jug to the Silver Govermental Inspection place, made an expertise, and the result was 925 sterling silver. I got a mark on it that it is 925. My jug I bought from a collectioner. He said that this throphy is from Germany. I think it could possibly be from Hanau. I am very curious and exited to hear back from you, as your research goes along. I can give you my email, to keep in touch if you are interested.
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

Amena and Lace-Lace,

Have either of you come to any further conclusions on either of your objects? Do apologize for not staying involved but did not anything further to add. Did do a general sweep of objects made in Muslim countries, found a few that showed a similar level of quality but stylistically not close enough to either of your items. Have just now looked the German Hanau marks here at 925, didn't actually see anything that I felt was reasonable close.

Any progress to report?
Warren
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Unfortunately, no reliable information.
On the Internet I found a couple of coffeepot that has some resemblance to mine: the small lid on the spout, the handle at ninety degrees, the same type of flanges in the connection of the handles and the spout to the body of the coffee pot.
They are described as
Silver Coffee Pots Pair of George I style London 1927 Willam Comyns & Sons Ltd
but of course they have easy recognizable British marks.
Perhaps it would be worthwhile to move this post in some other section, to see if any of experts has some answers.
Regards
Amena
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Amena,

It's now in the 'Other Countries' forum. Let's hope we have some joy there.

Trev.
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

I did attempt to follow up on the insect mark which appears to be a praying mantis from the triangular shape of the head without success. Let me ask Hada for her imput.

W
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

This object is still worth a bump, someone can solve this question.

W
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Hello Warren
still no news. I found a coffee pot for sale on the internet which is a bit like mine. I asked for more information on the marks and origin, but they did not reply.
Regards
Amena
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

It's been a long time and in the meantime the photos have disappeared, but today I have some news.
First of all, here is again the photo of the coffee pot with its marks.
Today I had photos of a serving platter and a cloche bought together in Italy.
The cloche has the same marks as my coffee pot, while the plate has the 374 MI mark belonging to Airoli Piero.

The fact that the cloche and the underlying plate match perfectly suggests that they were made by the same silversmith.
However I can't explain why the coffee maker and the cloche have only those fancy marks.
Regards
Amena

Return to “Other Countries”