Little old light teaspoon.(two headed eagle mark) Any ideas?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
J1MBO

Little old light teaspoon.(two headed eagle mark) Any ideas?

Post by J1MBO »

Can anyone help with the identification of this interesting old teaspoon? I think it is old silver but has none of the usual marks. I have recently fallen heir to some interesting items and am now trying to identify them. Thank you.

Neruda

Post by Neruda »

Perhaps someone has references to check this out, but could it be 18th century Perth, Scotland?

A very similar eagle appears in Poinçons d'Argent du Monde Entier by Jan Divis. If it is, it will be the first time I've found anything useful in this book!
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hi all, just a gut feeling: when I saw this, I thougt this could be German, around 1850/60. The double-headed lion was used by a couple of German cities. And it could explain the absence of other marks. Best wishes, Bahner
Neruda

Post by Neruda »

Scottish provincial silver is way outside my area. However here are three Perth marks:
Does anyone have any good reference to confirm or demolish this possibility?
J1MBO

Post by J1MBO »

Thank you for the information so far - the mark does look like the Perth one in the top picture from Neruda.
What do you guys feel about date or maker?
Thanks again - any other contributions very welcome.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Jimbo,
A picture of the entire back, from straight above, would help much, both in dating and identifying the country of origin.

Regards, Tom
J1MBO

Post by J1MBO »

Hi Tom,

I attach more pictures - do these help ?
Rear view full length

Any more comments from members would be welcome.

Cheers

Jim
Waylander
co-admin

Post by Waylander »

I agree - looks like the Perth mark to me. As for a maker - I note that James Cornfute was a registered smith between 1772 and 1796. John Clark I was registered between 1779 and 1807. John Clark II between 1791 and 1793. None have atributed marks, however.

Waylander
J1MBO

Post by J1MBO »

Hi Tom,
I've put the pictures up as you suggested. Any further views on age, maker etc.?

Thanks for your help

Jim

admin wrote:Hi Jimbo,
A picture of the entire back, from straight above, would help much, both in dating and identifying the country of origin.

Regards, Tom

Return to “Other Countries”