Recent research has revealed that this mark, long attributed to Papus & Dautun, actually belongs to an entirely different Lausanne maker: Jean-Philippe Delacour (1768-aft. 1824).
He was the son of silversmith Pierre Delacour, and apprenticed 1780/81 to Philippe Vernet (ca. 1748-1794). He established his own shop around 1790, but would inherit his master’s tools (and presumably his business) after the death Vernet’s widow, FranÃ§oise Rapillard, around 1809. Delacour retired sometime between 1814 and 1824, although his son, Marc-Philippe Delacour (1802-1842) would also become a silversmith, working ca. 1830-1842.
Delacour was an excellent maker, and the high-quality of his Empire-era work has very much contributed to continued its attribution to Papus & Dautun. However, a careful study of the subtle differences between the late 18th century work of Papus & Dautun (working ca. 1760-1793) and the early 19th century work of Philippe Delacour (working ca. 1790-1815) has led to a much better understanding of their respective marks.
This information comes from the lavish new book by Christian HÃ¶rack, L’Argenterie Lausannoise des XVIIIe et XIXe SiÃ¨cles (Lausanne: MusÃ©e Historique, 2007). It’s a beautiful and exhaustive study of Lausanne silver, cataloguing the large collection of the MusÃ©e Historique de Lausanne and presenting much new information on Lausanne makers and marks.