TURNER, George (Grimwade p.686)

Moderators: MCB, buckler, silverly

dognose
Site Admin

TURNER, George (Grimwade p.686)

Post by dognose »

It is possible the below may relate to our George Turner:

William Allen was indicted for stealing, on the 25th of April, 1 walking-stick, value 9s., the goods of George Turner.

Henry Turner. I live with my brother, George Turner, a silversmith, in Long-acre. On the 25th of April, between eight and nine o'clock in the evening, the witness Cooper came into the shop—in consequence of what he said I went to the door, and missed a walking-stick, which I had put outside on the stand that day, with a ticket on it, marked, "9s."

William Cooper. I live with my brother-in-law, Mr. Stodhart,in Portpool-lane, Gray's Inn-lane. I was standing outside my master's door, next to Mr. Turner's, and saw the prisoner and a young man in company—the young man took the stick and gave it to the prisoner, who ran away with it—I gave an alarm, and ran, but could not overtake him—I am certain of the prisoner.

James Purcell. On the 25 th of April I was in Wild-street—I heard the cry of "Stop thief"—I saw a number of people running after a man, with a stick in his hand—I followed him, and was very near catching him, when he threw the stick down an area—I told the policeman where it was, and he got it.

Edward Mabb. I am a policeman. I saw the prisoner running, with a mob after him—I received a stick from a person in Lincoln-court, which I produce—I caught the prisoner at last, and found this ticket on him.

Henry Turner re examined. This is my brother's ticket, which was tied to the stick—it is my writing.

Prisoner's Defence. I know nothing at all about it—I saw people running—some man stopped me—I was going to meet a friend.

GUILTY. Aged 22.—Confined Two Months.

Source: Central Criminal Court - Minutes of Evidence - 1839
Aguest
contributor

Re: TURNER, George (Grimwade p.686)

Post by Aguest »

Is this the same George Turner who entered into partnership with Thomas William Bidwell in London 1820? :: I keep seeing references to a "West Country" George Turner and an Exeter George Turner but I can find nothing about this (short-lived) partnership of 1820, not even sure it is the same silversmith? :::: I have a King's Pattern fork with the "GT & TB" hallmark London 1820 in case you need an example of the hallmark :::::
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

(spelled Thomas William Biddell)

George Turner & Thomas William Biddell are described as spoon and fork manufacturers and button makers :: Gave notice of the dissolution of their partnership to The London Gazette which took effect 24 June 1823 ::: 55 Drury Lane was the shop address ::::
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Aguest,

The George Turner referred to in Grimwade (p.686) was in partnership with Thomas William Bidwell. The George Turner referred to in the Old Bailey case above, may or may not be one of the same.

I'm not aware of any connection with George Turner of Exeter, who was a member of the Exeter Goldsmiths' Guild as from 1812 and who died in the position of Head Warden early (April?) in 1835.

It would be good the see an example of the mark of Turner-Bidwill partnership.

Trev.

Return to “Grimwade's Biographies ~ Updates”