ECKFOURD, John I (Grimwade p.499)

Moderators: MCB, buckler, silverly

silverly

ECKFOURD, John I (Grimwade p.499)

Post by silverly »

20 June 1725 John Eckfourd silver smith in Maiden Lane in the parish of (Saint Paul) Covent Garden in the County of Middlesex will proved. I cannot say where the will was proved. That portion of it I believe is in Latin. Janet Eckfourd John's spouse and his widowed daughter Ann Gray were the conjunct executrices. First on the list of bequests was his son John who was to receive one shilling in full of all demands whatsoever.

Source: London Metropolitan Archives and Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section, Clerkenwell, London, England; Reference Number: AM/PW/1732/023
buckler

Re: ECKFOURD, John I (Grimwade p.499)

Post by buckler »

This certainly appears to be the John Eckford or Eckfourd given by Grimwade as John I. Particularly as the Parish and the widows name is the same.
However Grimwade gives his burial as 14 July 1730, which is somewhat inconstant with a probate date five years earlier .I suspect that we may have three John Eckfords as silversmiths or perhaps the 1725 date is that of the will, rather than the probate.
silverly

Post by silverly »

Buckler is correct about the year of signing the will being 1725. All of the probate information is in Latin and the year is written out in words and not numerals. My guess is that the year of probate is 1730.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

An advertisement for the brewers Bass, Ratcliff & Gretton Ltd. from 1938 showing an example of the work and mark of John Eckfourd:

Bass, Ratcliff & Gretton Ltd. - Burton-on-Trent - 1938

What is interesting is the the illustration clearly shows a pellet following the letters 'EC', which differs from Grimwade's example No.545.

Return to “Grimwade's Biographies ~ Updates”