PENSTONE, William I-III (Grimwade p.619, 763)

Moderators: MCB, buckler, silverly

MCB

PENSTONE, William I-III (Grimwade p.619, 763)

Post by MCB »

All of the facts recorded by Grimwade are repeated below (marked*) to facilitate a clearer account of the various goldsmiths with the same name of whom some are not recorded in Grimwade’s book as having entered a mark at Goldsmiths Hall.
Unlinked information is also shown to provide further background.

William I
He was christened the son of Francis and Katharine at St Peter and St Paul, Marlborough in 1672.
*He was apprenticed to William Matthew in 1687 and free in 1694.
*He entered a mark in 1694 from Foster Lane.
*William II the son of William and Margaret was christened at Christ Church, Newgate in 1696.
Thomas, the son of Thomas Penstone, woollen draper of Marlborough, Wiltshire, signed indentures in 1706 to be his apprentice. Thomas Penstone senior was probably the uncle of William Penstone I.
He was assessed to Land Tax on property in Old Bailey until 1711, the widow Penstone being assessed on the property in 1712.
The burial of William Penstone, late of Old Bailey, was recorded at St Sepulchre in 1712.

William II
*He was christened the son of William I and Margaret at Christ Church, Newgate in 1696.
*He was made free by patrimony in the Goldsmiths Company in 1717.
*He entered a mark in 1717 from Foster Lane.
The marriage of William Penstone to Mary Cale at St Sepulchre, Holborn in 1718 may be relevant.
Mary, the daughter of William and Mary Penstone, was christened at St Dunstan, Stepney in 1719.
*William (Unrecorded) the son of William Penstone was born around 1728 and is identified as apprenticed to Marmaduke Daintry in 1742 when his father was noted as deceased. No christening record has been found for him.
Thomas in 1737, Ann in 1740 and Katherine in 1742, children of William and Mary were christened at St Giles, Cripplegate.
*His son Thomas is noted as being apprenticed in 1751. No record of the apprenticeship has been found.
*His burial was recorded at St Sepulchre in 1741.

William (Unrecorded at Goldsmiths Hall)
*He is noted as the son of William II born around 1728. No christening record has been found for him. He was apprenticed to Marmaduke Daintrey of the Goldsmith Company in 1742.
He was made free in 1751.
*No record of a mark has been found for him.
He signed a bond in 1752 as a bachelor and Goldsmith of St Olave parish, Silver Street to marry Elizabeth Ottway.
William (III) the son of William and Elizabeth was christened at St Olave, Silver Street in 1753 and *is noted in 1767 as the apprentice of Samuel Phipps. No indentures have been found for this apprenticeship.
*Grimwade notes that Heal recorded William Penstone at Monkwell Street and identified the information as relating to this Goldsmith but no dates are mentioned.
He was assessed to Land Tax on property in St Olave, Silver Street parish 1763-70.

William III
He was christened the son of William and Elizabeth at St Olave, Silver Street in 1753.
*He was apprenticed to Samuel Phipps in 1767.
No indentures have been found for this apprenticeship.
He was assessed to Land Tax on unidentified property in St Mary Staining precinct from 1772.
*He was listed from Noble Street in the 1773 Parliamentary Report and entered a mark from there in 1774.
He was assessed to Land Tax in Noble Street in 1775.
*Heal records him as bankrupt in 1778.
See also the unlinked detail below.

William (unlinked information)
A Land Tax assessment was made on William Penstone for property in Round Court in the Red Cross precinct of Cripplegate in 1743.
It was possibly William Penstone III who married the widow Elizabeth Spurling of St Giles, Cripplegate at St Bride’s, Fleet Street in 1777.
The burial of William Penstone at St Giles, Cripplegate April 1783 may be relevant to William Penstone III.
The Will of a William Penstone, late chandler of Chick Lane, St Sepulchre, was granted Probate in London in 1783. He left his estate to his wife Elizabeth. The detail may be relevant to William Penstone III.
William, the son of a William Penstone of the Goldsmiths Company and of Mugwell (possibly Monkwell) Street, was apprenticed in 1769 to Harman Smith of the Goldsmiths Company and of Noble Street. He was made free in 1777. The premium was paid by Charities. He may be a son of William Penstone III but no christening record has been found for him.
A christening is recorded at St Sepulchre in 1782 for Mary Ann daughter of William and Martha.
William Penstone’s marriage to Mary Bateman was registered at St Bride’s Fleet Street in 1783; both were of that parish.
He was assessed to Land Tax in Chick Lane from 1779-82. The widow Penstone was assessed on the property from 1783.
Thomas the son of William and Mary of Goldsmith Street was christened at St Bride’s in 1784.

Henry Penstone
Although Heal listed Henry Penstone as a plate worker in Gracechurch Street until 1705 the burial of a man of that name, late of Sugar Loaf Alley, Wentworth Street, was registered at St Mary, Whitechapel in 1698.
MCB

Re: PENSTONE, William I-III (Grimwade p.619, 763)

Post by MCB »

William I

The Will of William Pennystone or Penystone alias Penstone, goldsmith late of St Sepulchre, was proved for probate on 18th March 1712 (National Archives reference PROB 11/526/100).

Return to “Grimwade's Biographies ~ Updates”