JOHNSTON, R (Grimwade p.563)

Moderators: MCB, buckler, silverly

MCB

JOHNSTON, R (Grimwade p.563)

Post by MCB »

He was Richard, the son of Joshua Johnston of the Clothworkers Company and sword cutler of Blackmoor Street, apprenticed to his father in 1780.
Thomas, the son of Joshua Johnston, sword cutler of St Clement Dane’s was apprenticed to Richard Johnston of the Clothworkers Company in 1795.
James Johnston was made free in the Cutlers Company in 1800 by servitude to (his brother) Richard noted in the document as a cutler.
Richard is listed in the 1806 London Poll Book as a sword cutler at 68 St James Street.
Richard Johnston, perhaps his son, is listed in the same trade at the same address in the Poll Books of 1834-37.
silverly

Re: JOHNSTON, R (Grimwade p.563)

Post by silverly »

23 January 1839 Richard Johnston of Saint James Street in the Parish of Saint James Westminster in the County of Middlesex and Winterslow Place Vassal Road North Brixton in the County of Surrey Sword Cutler will proved at London.

TNA Reference: PROB 11/1905/305
buckler

Post by buckler »

Leslie Southwick "London Silver ~hilted Swords" gives further extensive further details of his life etc on pages 153 - 155.
The book being out of print (and expensive on second-hand market) can be obtained under the public library service. I have a copy .

His trade card and a bill from him are in the collection of the British Museum , and can be accessed from their website .
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

THE CORPORATION OF THE CITY OF OXFORD

Bill of costs to Charles Ellis (Agent in London to the Mayor of Oxford for the Coronation of George IV, 1821)

July 4.

Attending at the Deputy Earl Marshals on the subject of my letter when his Secretary stated the application was perfectly correct and that Tickets would be issued so soon as the arrangements were made.

Attending on Mr Bryant relative to the hire of the horses Coachmen and Liveries when he agreed to furnish same and promised to let me have his terms in the course of a few days.

Attending on Mr Johnston hiring the Swords & purchasing the belts for the same and making enquiries of him relative to knee and shoe buckles which he informed me he could let out on reasonable terms.

Attendance on Mr Swallow the Hatter on his stating he could not let out the hats to hire but would let the Mayor and deputation have them on a sale at a reasonable price when I promised to write to Oxford on the subject. Attending afterwards at Several Hatters to make enquiries whether I could hire these kind of Hats but found it impracticable.

July 6.

Attending on Mr Johnston to inform him we should not want any Buckles

Source: Collectanea, Fourth Series, Volume 47 - Oxford Historical Society - 1905

Return to “Grimwade's Biographies ~ Updates”