COMTESSE, Louis (Grimwade p.312, 339, 344)

Moderators: MCB, buckler, silverly

MCB

COMTESSE, Louis (Grimwade p.312, 339, 344)

Post by MCB »

Various records show he was born David Louis Comtesse in Switzerland in about 1778, the son of Henry, a watchmaker.
He married Mary Rogers in 1802 at St George, Hanover Square.
He entered maker’s marks at Goldsmiths Hall in 1804 and 1824 as a gold worker from 13 Bateman’s Buildings, Soho.
He was assessed to Land Tax in 1817 on property in Haymans Row, St Pancras, in 1819 at Dean Street, Soho and in 1820 at Bateman’s Buildings.
He entered further maker’s marks from 1827-40 as a watch case maker from 10 East Street, Red Lion Square.
The burial of Mary Comtesse aged 53 years, late of East Street, was recorded at St George the Martyr, Queen Square in 1832.
The 1841 UK Census recorded him aged 60 years and a case maker at that address living with his sons Louis and Edward who had also been born overseas and both also case makers.
The record of his marriage to the 19 years old spinster Rebecca Sutton at St George, Bloomsbury in 1847 shows he was a widower aged 65 years and still a watch case maker at the previous address.
The 1851 UK Census shows him in the same trade at the same address as previously but he had aged rapidly. His age was given as 73 years. He lived with his wife and a son aged 2 years also named David Louis.
His son was christened at Friern Barnet in 1854. Their address was Black Horse Lane and his father was still a watch case maker.
Rebecca and their son were in St Peter Port, Guernsey in 1861 where she appears on the Census as a widow living on the proceeds of Railway Stocks. As no record of her husband’s death has been found in England he presumably retired to the Channel Islands and died there between 1854 and 1861.
MCB

Re: COMTESSE, Louis (Grimwade p.312-3, 339, 344)

Post by MCB »

Evidence of his death in the UK has now been found.
The Will of David Louis Comtesse, late watch case maker of East Street, Red Lion Square, was granted probate on 2nd November 1854 (National Archives reference PROB11/2200/14).
ozfarmer

Post by ozfarmer »

Attention Moderators: MCB & buckley
Greetings from Australia.
I am researching my ancestors among whom are David Louis Comtesse (my Great, Great Grandfather) & his father, Henry (or Henri) born in Switzerland as you’ve noted from Mr Grimwade’s Biographies. From my location in rural Victoria, I’m frustrated by distance & a language barrier from pursuing Swiss records. Are you able to share with me any resources that I might find helpful in my research or to provide any other guidance or advice that might assist?
I have seen a photograph of a watch attributed to my ancestor & it is particularly fine. I’m hoping to not only research my lineage but also to gain an appreciation of the life & times of these remote but connected men.
Regards,
David Comtesse

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )
MCB

Post by MCB »

Hello David and welcome to the Forum.
The references to David Louis Comtesse being born in Switzerland were obtained from the UK Census records.
We would welcome an image of the watch and the hallmarks if at all possible.
Best wishes for your further research.

Mike
ozfarmer

Post by ozfarmer »

The following text is from the Christie's catalogue:
CHARMAN & CO. AN EXTREMELY FINE, RARE AND ATTRACTIVE 18K PINK GOLD, ENAMEL AND PEARL-SET OPENFACE DUPLEX WATCH, MADE FOR THE CHINESE MARKET
SIGNED CHARMAN & CO., LONDON, NO. 9037, CASE BY LOUIS COMTESSE, STAMPED WITH LONDON DATE LETTER FOR 1817
Lot 54 / Sale 1383

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

Sale Information Sale 1383
IMPORTANT WATCHES
14 November 2011
Geneva
Lot Description
Gilt-finished full plate movement, chain fusée, duplex escapement, finely pierced and engraved scroll decorated balance cock and foot, diamond endstone, finely chased and foliage and floral engraved gilt metal dust cover stamped RE, white enamel dial, Roman numerals, pink gold spade hands, subsidiary seconds, circular case, pearl-set bezel, rim, pendant and bow, the back with a finely painted polychrome enamel bouquet of flowers on translucent pink enamel over engine-turned sunray effect background, scalloped pink and white champlevé enamel border, ribbed band, case stamped LC for Louis Comtesse and with London date letter for 1817, cuvette stamped with French assay marks, dial numbered, movement signed and numbered
61.5 mm. diam.
Regret I'm unable to attach the image I have but a web search on the sale catalogue will reveal it.
Regards ... David Comtesse

Return to “Grimwade's Biographies ~ Updates”