ANDREWS, Ann (Grimwade p 423)

Moderators: MCB, buckler, silverly

buckler

ANDREWS, Ann (Grimwade p 423)

Post by buckler »

Anne ANDREWS was almost certainly the widow of John ANDREWS , a smallworker at Brick Lane, Old Street. For family details and John's career see:-
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 74&t=26279" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

18 March 1759
The burial of a John Andrews is recorded in the Parish Register of St Luke, Old Street. Cause of death is "Suddenly "

26 March 1759
Ann ANDREWS records her first smallworkers mark at Brick Lane.
Ann also entered marks 27 June 1760 and 16 June 1761.

23 February 1762
Parish Register of St Giles, Cripplegate Without, records the marriage by special licence of Laurence COUGHLAN , Widower to Anne Andrews, Widow at Saint Giles Cripplegate. Both were described as "of this parish".

27 March 1762
Laurence Coughlan records first known mark. Address Brick Lane, Old Street.

12 July 1763
Laurence Coughlan records second and last known mark. Address Brick Lane, Old Street.

If we are right in assumming that Ann's husband was the Laurence Coughlan who was a well known Methodist preacher, they both probably concentrated on his evangelical activities, and Ann was with him when he went as a minister in 1766 to Newfoundland .
She is believed to have returned to England in 1769, to be followed by her husband some time later.
See http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 74&t=25327;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

07 November 1763
Thomas WILKINSON entered a mark as smallworker at Brick Lane, Old Street. He had been apprenticed to John ANDREWS on 6 November 1754.
buckler

Re: ANDREWS, Ann (Grimwade p 423)

Post by buckler »

Ann Andrews mark has been reported on a snuff or very small spoon.
She does not appear to have returned to silversmithing after her return from Newfoundland.
John Wesley referred to her as " sister Coughlan" in one of his letters, and she is mentioned in several letters to Laurence by ex- parishioners in Newfoundland, so she may have been a very committed Methodist .She died in 1795, having outlived her second husband by at least ten years . From her will (PCC ) she died a wealthy lady, with several properties in Shoreditch, including a burial ground .
I would appreciate details of any pieces seen with her mark.
buckler

Re: ANDREWS, Ann (Grimwade p 423)

Post by buckler »

10 September 1795
Will of Ann Coughlan, widow, of St Leonards Shoreditch was proved at PCC. (TNA/ PROB 11/1265)
Will dated 21st May 1795.

Beneficiaries
daughter Elizabeth Whitefoot,(presumably the Betsey who was with Laurence and Ann in Newfoundland) .. .. "my Wearing Apparel and Linen" - and half the residue
grand daughter Betsey Andrews Whitefoot. .. .. .. "my Pint Silver Mug "
grand daughter Ann Andrews Nichols .. .. " five pounds "
son George Andrews - the other half of the residue
but gives no address or occupations for these family members.

Executors
Richard Hilton of the parish of St James Clerkenwell [believed to be of the Carpenters]
Thomas Woolroll of the said parish of St James Clerkenwell , Carpenter
David Langton of the said parish of St Leonard Shoreditch , Shoemaker

Property
Mostly a block of six houses and a burial ground , almost certainly morgaged to Richard Hilton -
comprising
"my three messuages situate on the side of the Curtain Road in the said Parish of St Leonard Shoreditch and my three messuages on the side of Chapel Street in the same parish and the Burying Ground situate behind my said six messuages [ this forms a block of land as the two roads run one each side of the burial grond ] and all other My Leasehold Estates."
This was to be sold at the discretion of the executors , and until sold ,
"the Rents and Annual produce therefrom and after paying the Ground Rents and other Outgoings thereof and the Charges of Ministers to Officiate at the Funerals in the said Burying Ground and other Expenses relating thereto shall be applied to satisfy the Interest of [sic] all Charges and Disbursements"

Witnesses
Thomas Prior [ or Price] of Chapel Street
Francis Shadd of Clerkenwell.

Neck Stock buckle believed to be by Ann Andrews

Mark believed to be Ann Andrews from this stock buckle . It does not match exactly those in Grimwade however

Return to “Grimwade's Biographies ~ Updates”