WALLIS, Thomas I (Grimwade p.692, 770)

Moderators: MCB, buckler, silverly

buckler

WALLIS, Thomas I (Grimwade p.692, 770)

Post by buckler »

The registers of St Olave Silver Street show a Thomas Wallis and his wife Mary baptised a daughter, Katherine on 2nd August 1767 so he was almost certainly in that parish in 1767.

Shown in the 1768/69 Land Tax Assessment for Monkwell Street as Thomas Wallace [sic] - 2 Houses, at No 37. He replaced Ann Bickerton, who is shown in the 1767/68 assessment as Widow Bickerton. The 1769/70 assessment and onwards is as Thomas Wallis — 2 Houses. It is not unusual for the names in LTA’s to be one or two years behind reality (I think they may have pre-written the details from the previous assessment into their round books ).

George Wallis, a descendant, (in his chapter on Jewellery in G. Phillips Bevan, British Manufacturing Industry, second edition,1878) provides some information on the Wallis’s, albeit a somewhat uncertain account.
He appears to state that Thomas Wallis I was a silver buckle maker himself and that John Warralow worked for him (perhaps as an apprentice?) around 1770 . Warralow was supposedly steel bucklemaker to George III, and according to this account Wallis I also worked for the court. He also indicates that Thomas Wallis II was the nephew of Thomas Wallis I.

Grimwade considers that it was Thomas Wallis II who entered a mark as plateworker in 1778 at Monkwell Street, moving to Red Lion Street in 1780. However a Thomas Wallis was still in residence at Monkwell Street in 1785.
An Old Bailey Trial of 6th April 1785 (ref t17850406-69 ) states a Thomas Wallis as stating : “I live in Monkwell-street, on the 27th of February, my house was broke open.”
He is also shown in the Poor Rate book for 1785. The Poor Rate books were normally more up to date than the LTA’s.

It thus seems that either the 1780 plateworkers mark was actually for Wallis I, or the two Wallis’ shared premises for a year or so. As Wallis II was not free until 1779 according to Grimwade the former seems more likely.

Thomas Wallis I probably died in 1819 as the will of “Thomas Wallis, formerly Silversmith now Waltham Abbey Essex”, was proved at PCC on 1st April 1818 (PROB 11/1015).

I do not have copies of the Poor Rate Records of St Olave , Silver Street after 1785 but will endeavour to check them to see at what date he left there for his retirement.
buckler

Re: WALLIS, Thomas I (Grimwade p.692, 770)

Post by buckler »

24 February 1774
Gazette and New Daily Advertiser
"WANTED one or two smart lads, as Apprentices, of decent parents, to a good working branch of the silver trade.
Enquire at Mr Thomas Wallis's No 37 Monkwell Street "
buckler

Re: WALLIS, Thomas I (Grimwade p.692, 770)

Post by buckler »

Retirement of Thomas Wallis I . Perhaps occasioned by the break in at his house in early 1785

21 September 1785
Morning Post and Daily Advertiser carries an advert for the sale of premises by Mr Skinner and Co
"A VERY CONVENIENT LEASEHOLD HOUSE and a COMPLETE SET OF WORKSHOPS situate in MONKWELL STREET, WOOD STREET, a small distance from GOLDSMITHS' HALL the property of
Mr WALLIS [original version of the advert says WALLACE ]
Working Silversmith, leaving off Trade .
The premises have long been established in the town and country trade, in the various branches. The dwellinghouse is neatly finished ; the workshops properly detached and well fitted up with a distinct entrance and a large yard, the whole recently repaired at considerable expense........"
The purchaser may have immediate possession and accommodated with the implements of trade at a valuation ; if rejected they will be sold by auction in a few days, on the premises.

1 November 1785
Morning Post and Daily Advertiser carries an advert for the sale of the equipment , again by Mr Skinner.
"at the Premises in Monkwell Street, near Wood Street
THE WORKING TOOLS, IMPLEMENTS, UTENSILS, PATTERNS and FIXTURES the property of
Mr WALLACE, [sic] WORKING SILVERSMITH leaving off Trade
consisting of a general assortment of plate, Small Workers and Spoon Makers Tools oin excellent condition , the patterns numerous , some of which are esteemed and many of in brass" The word "esteemed" is probably used in the same way as we would use "famous" .

It would appear that Thomas Wallis I is retiring and Thomas Wallis II is now established at Red Lion Street

Return to “Grimwade's Biographies ~ Updates”