Spoon with Lyre (?) Mark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Traintime
contributor

Spoon with Lyre (?) Mark

Post by Traintime »

I love it when I'm clueless. Seems similar to some basic French Silverplate pieces, but the one surviving mark might suggest otherwise. The destroyed mark is nearly impossible but might contain letters "M" over "T", with possible "P"-shape below to right. Some indication of possible crown points at top. Not much to go on. TIA

Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Spoon with Lyre (?) Mark

Post by Qrt.S »

Hi,
Not my cup of tea, but try France, Paris 1781-1789
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Interesting suggestion! Nothing concrete came up, but in checking pre-1789 town marks, the form of the visible mark had similarity to Beaucaire sans handle: https://www.925-1000.com/Ffrench_townmarks_01.html
However, upon re-scoping to compare I noticed this may actually be a compound mark. The base is a pedestal lamp of assymetric shape (eliminating candel holder in favor of oil lamp). Emanating above is a back view of a female silhoutte with arms outstretched and head facing to right. With the other marks a mess, it could have been due to the "stretching" often found in the French system of working/marking then reworking/remarking. But I have doubts. It's all very odd.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

@Traintime,
Well, as I said "France is not my cup of tea" I am unable to discuss French marks deeper. Anyway, I managed to find the Lyre-mark in English Tardy on p. 130 and in Divis #1732 on p. 205. Both with the same text. I see no reason for doubts, it is the same mark. About the lower, presumably, maker's mark, I have no clue.
(Don't overdo it, it's a lyre) ;-))))
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Okay..sounds good to me. Beats the heck out of what I came up with. Anyways, I'd rather have a French antique than a God knows what. Thank you.

Return to “French Silver”