Help identifying maker's mark and stars around French mark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
mvcv

Help identifying maker's mark and stars around French mark

Post by mvcv »

Hi, I am looking for some help identifying the maker's mark on this piece- it's the initials "LC", with a dot between the two letters which are surrounded with what looks like a laurel or other kind of wreath. Also the French/Paris mark appears to be the 1978-1809 mark but in this case there are two stars one on either side of this mark- can anyone shed some light on why these would be there?

Interestingly there also appears to be a misstrike on the French mark in the middle of the underside of the box. I'm including a photo of that as well in case it's relevant. This is a decorative/commemorative box with period locking mechanism, though the key is not period but a newer replacement.

Thanks-MV

mvcv

Re: Help identifying maker's mark and stars around French mark

Post by mvcv »

Obviously I made a typo in my original post- the mark is from 1798-1809, sorry.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Very suspicious decor for the Empire period.
Regards
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Agree that the style of this object doesn’t correspond to the time period of the coq mark.

Also, the purported maker’s mark should be in a lozenge-shaped reserve, and should be smaller than the mark shown. These appear to be pseudo marks.
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Imitation is good enough to deceive. I think a more detailed photo of the false cock may be useful to prevent someone else from falling into error.
Best
Amena

Return to “French Silver”