French Tea Caddy

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
kevin32823

French Tea Caddy

Post by kevin32823 »

I have a French Tea Caddy that was stamped with the boars hear hallmark which was initiated in 1838 designating .800 silver. My problem is that I can't find any reference to the maker's mark. The mark is an "S" with a star at the top and at the bottom, all set within the lozenge. I have searched all of the resources at hand but have come up empty handed. Any help that anyone can givw would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Kevin

SteveDWollongong
contributor

Re: French Tea Caddy

Post by SteveDWollongong »

Hi Kevin,

Your makers name is Paul Sormoni who was a Paris registered manufacturing jeweller. He began March 8, 1886 and his workshop address was 10 rue Charlot.

You can find the matching example of his mark "S with two star symbols" and the above information via the below link to the French Department of Culture Database. Once opened you need to click on the "Rechercher" button as it isn't possible to go directly to the database results:

http://www.culture.gouv.fr/public/mistr ... 4%24%2534P

Cheers,
Steve
kevin32823

Re: French Tea Caddy

Post by kevin32823 »

Hi Steve, I want to thank you for the help that you have given me. The name Paul Sormoni did come up in my research but there was no way to verify the name with the mark. This is the first item that I have posted a request on this site and it has been a most satisfying experience. Once again, thank you for all of your help. Best of luck, Kevin

Return to “French Silver”