Maker GB?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Kirils
contributor

Maker GB?

Post by Kirils »

Hello again! I have another unknown maker. From what I can see it looks like to me GB with a spoon and gear at the bottom.

JayT
contributor

Re: Maker GB?

Post by JayT »

You certainly don’t make this easy. Kindly in the future present clear photos of clean marks.

Your knives (dessert? dinner? You don’t give length) in a rococo style pattern were made by Guillaume Denière, a flatware maker working in Paris at several addresses. Intials GD, symbol a spoon with a rosette and a clockwork (une cuiller ornée d’une rosette, un rouage de pendule). He registered his mark on 16 December 1850, erased 9 March 1855.

See Arminjon, v. II, no. 01933, p. 187.
Kirils
contributor

Post by Kirils »

JayT wrote:You certainly don’t make this easy. Kindly in the future present clear photos of clean marks.

Your knives (dessert? dinner? You don’t give length) in a rococo style pattern were made by Guillaume Denière, a flatware maker working in Paris at several addresses. Intials GD, symbol a spoon with a rosette and a clockwork (une cuiller ornée d’une rosette, un rouage de pendule). He registered his mark on 16 December 1850, erased 9 March 1855.

See Arminjon, v. II, no. 01933, p. 187.
Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, this was the best mark that I could find. The rest of them were even in the worst condition. This are a dinner knives (length - 25 cm)
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

You’re welcome.
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

Worth noting that Denière was a prominent bronze manufacturer and supplier of bronze clocks to Louis-Philippe and Napoleon III. See the French Wikipedia page on Guillaume Denière. The article says that there were an important purveyor of silverware, but given the brief duration of the mark, it appears that maison Denière did not manufacture their own silver for very long.

Return to “French Silver”