18th century 1728 Paris Wine Taster (taste vin) - unknown ma

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
fermiersgeneraux

18th century 1728 Paris Wine Taster (taste vin) - unknown ma

Post by fermiersgeneraux »

Hello folks,
I have a French made 18th century wine taster (serpent handle), with fermiers generaux hallmarks for Paris, 1728-1729. However, I cannot make out the silversmith - his hallmark is there but is partially erased..am hoping one of you is able to identify him..

charge hallmark (crowned A) and discharge hallmark (crowned merlette) for Paris, 1726-1732
Community/Jurande hallmark (crowned N) for Paris, 1728-1729
control hallmark (rabbit) for old pieces
silversmith hallmark - crowned fleur de lys, the two dots (grains de remedes), and P?...a symbol and another initial, none of which are very legible

I've listed the pictures below:

JayT
contributor

Re: 18th century 1728 Paris Wine Taster (taste vin) - unknow

Post by JayT »

Sorry I don't recognize the maker. Turning to Nocq, he lists over 400 makers from Paris whose mark begins with a P. These makers are not arranged by date of activity or area of specialty, so going through the entire list would be quite a task! Without at least one other element of information (another letter of the name or the symbol), I can only wish you good luck in your research.
fermiersgeneraux

JayT wrote:Sorry I don't recognize the maker. Turning to Nocq, he lists over 400 makers from Paris whose mark begins with a P. These makers are not arranged by date of activity or area of specialty, so going through the entire list would be quite a task! Without at least one other element of information (another letter of the name or the symbol), I can only wish you good luck in your research.

Thank you for your insight JayT -much appreciated.
I dont have the Nocq reference book, but i have consulted the three-volume ref. books from F. de Nobele, and have not have any luck..I guess my next move will have to be to procure the Nocq book. Best regards, Phillip
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Regret that I couldn't help.

If you don't already own Nocq or know someone who does, your best bet is a reference library. This 5-volume work has long been out of print; it is available from time to time on the secondary market for the low four figures - ouch.
fermiersgeneraux

JayT wrote:Regret that I couldn't help.

If you don't already own Nocq or know someone who does, your best bet is a reference library. This 5-volume work has long been out of print; it is available from time to time on the secondary market for the low four figures - ouch.

Hi JayT, I don't suppose you know if anyone (or company) has previously put the 5-volume Nocq books on CD/DVD and selling those?
Best regards,

Phillip
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Hello Phillip -
Nocq was reprinted in 1968, but that edition is also scarce and expensive. To my knowledge there is no DVD. I don’t know the copyright status of this reference. A reference library still sounds like your best bet for the moment.
fermiersgeneraux

JayT wrote:Hello Phillip -
Nocq was reprinted in 1968, but that edition is also scarce and expensive. To my knowledge there is no DVD. I don’t know the copyright status of this reference. A reference library still sounds like your best bet for the moment.
ok, thank you, JayT - much appreciated!
zilverik
contributor

Post by zilverik »

Hi,

Hard to say, but maybe Pierre Loyseau.
Henri Nocq, page 158: Fleur de lys couronne, P L, un oiseau et deux grains.
Jacques Helft, Les Grands Orfevres de Louis XIII a Charles X, page 325, number 301 (page 320).
Pierre Loyseau became a Paris master in 1712. So that could fit.

Regards,

Zilverik
fermiersgeneraux

Thank you Zilverik for the info. and taking the time to look into this - you're right, it could very well be Pierre Loyseau. I had initially dismissed him because I was so focused on the center symbol being a heart, but after looking at it again, it could just as well have been the bird symbol from Pierre Loyseau's hallmark..certainly seems like a plausible fit.
Thank you for weighing in, and happy holidays!

Return to “French Silver”