French? Silver Frame

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
joho
contributor

French? Silver Frame

Post by joho »

Hi all - Would be grateful for any help identifying origin and period of this silver frame. It is oval in form and has a cast silver decorative surround of love birds, musical instruments, foliage etc. It is 120 mm long. I have listed this under French silver because the marks look possibly French, but may well be from elsewhere. Hanau? There are only 2 marks that I can find. The style is late 18th century, but I guess a late 19th century copy. Many thanks John

WarrenKundis
contributor

Re: French? Silver Frame

Post by WarrenKundis »

Good day John,

Am going to allow those with more knowledge answer here but just wanted to point out in image #2, what appears to be a later mark on the out stretched dove's wing on the right. Can we get a close up? And image #3, just above the violin neck. Is that another mark punched it the back of the frame coming through?

Lovely piece
Warren
joho
contributor

Post by joho »

Hi Warren - thanks for your comments. Yes I did notice the possible mark on the birds wing. I cleaned it out but could see no mark within. I will have another look in daylight tomorrow and try and get a photo. The marks at the top of the violin neck appear to be a depiction of the tuning knobs rather than a mark. John
Smokanabeach
contributor

Post by Smokanabeach »

Both hallmarks make me think of XVIII's hallmarks from Dijon, FRANCE. But not sure at all...
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Hello —
Sorry - your frame is not eighteenth century French. The size, placement and number of marks is not French. The style is nineteenth century romantic.

My best guess is Hanau, Germany, but I leave it to the Hanau experts to identify your marks. Looking through the excellent compilation of Hanau marks here might help you:

http://www.925-1000.com/Fgerman_hanau_marks_01.html
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

I think Jay T is right
Smokanabeach
contributor

Post by Smokanabeach »

Or as JayT said Hanau hallmarks which are copies of prestigious international hallmarks...
joho
contributor

Post by joho »

Good evening JayT, amena and smokanabeach. It seems Hanau is most likely! Many thanks for your advice and input. John

Return to “French Silver”