Gorham absorbing Whiting when and how long was the mark still used?

Do not post mark questions here.
MsJMoody
contributor

Gorham absorbing Whiting when and how long was the mark still used?

Post by MsJMoody »

I just came across an old newspaper page Evening star. [volume], May 27, 1923, Image 82 from chroniclingamerica.loc.gov while looking for a Gorham ad for a particular design.

Here is the link in case you would like to look at the whole newspaper ad page yourself for a better zoom https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn ... nge&page=1

What is interesting is this particular advertisement shows Gorham's & Whiting's trademarks as Gorham. Most references show the absorption around 1924 to 1926 that I have found but this seems to indicate earlier.

Does anyone know for sure the time frame of the absorption and how long Gorham continued to use the Whiting mark and if possible why?
dragonflywink
co-admin

Re: Gorham absorbing Whiting when and how long was the mark still used?

Post by dragonflywink »

Don't have time to delve into my references at the moment, but Gorham's Edward Holbrook, from the 1890s, controlled a holding company called the Silversmiths Company, which held several silver manufacturers including Gorham, Whiting Mfg., Durgin, Mauser, and quite few others, but they operated independently into the early 20th century, and if I recall correctly, after Holbrook died, Gorham ended up buying out the Silversmiths Co. in the early '20s, making the remaining firms a part of Gorham rather than just allied. Or at least that's how my poor addled brain remembers it...

~Cheryl

Return to “General Questions”