hello. I am interested in any info on James Birchall

Do not post mark questions here.
leefee

hello. I am interested in any info on James Birchall

Post by leefee »

He is a distant family member of my wife. I think he made Church type silver and I think there is a spoon of his somewhere so perhaps he did those too. Google just seems to bring up images of a few of his pieces. Any references or knowledge of his work would be great to see. We have lots of his, his wife and his daughters paintings, but not much knowledge of him. He was I believe Cheshire based 100 odd years ago. He signs his paintings J.T Birchall Thanks in advance. L
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: hello. I am interested in any info on James Birchall

Post by silvermakersmarks »

James Thomas Birchall registered several marks at the Chester Assay Office. The first was registered on 31 May 1924 from a business address at 53 Heywood Street, Moss Side, Manchester, with a private address at 83 Heywood Street. He is described as a "Worker in all metals". He registered a second mark on 2 May 1933 from 13 Waltham Road, Alexandra Road S, Manchester 16 as a "Designer and craftsman in metals", and a third mark on 18 June 1941 from the same address. It was re-submitted on 21 November 1950 by Mary Birchall trading as James Thomas Birchall, silversmith at 20 Central Drive, Long Lane, Cheadle and the mark was officially transferred to Mary Birchall on 21 November 1955 - probably he died around that time.

Information from "The Compendium of Chester Gold & Silver Marks 1570 to 1962" by Ridgway, Maurice H. & Priestley, Philip T., published by Antique Collectors’ Club, 2004.

Phil
leefee

Re: hello. I am interested in any info on James Birchall

Post by leefee »

silvermakersmarks wrote:James Thomas Birchall registered several marks at the Chester Assay Office. The first was registered on 31 May 1924 from a business address at 53 Heywood Street, Moss Side, Manchester, with a private address at 83 Heywood Street. He is described as a "Worker in all metals". He registered a second mark on 2 May 1933 from 13 Waltham Road, Alexandra Road S, Manchester 16 as a "Designer and craftsman in metals", and a third mark on 18 June 1941 from the same address. It was re-submitted on 21 November 1950 by Mary Birchall trading as James Thomas Birchall, silversmith at 20 Central Drive, Long Lane, Cheadle and the mark was officially transferred to Mary Birchall on 21 November 1955 - probably he died around that time.

Information from "The Compendium of Chester Gold & Silver Marks 1570 to 1962" by Ridgway, Maurice H. & Priestley, Philip T., published by Antique Collectors’ Club, 2004.

Phil

Thanks Phil. That’s him. Mary was his daughter. Now I will try to find an affordable piece of his work :)

Return to “General Questions”