Dohrmann Companies--Maker or not?

Do not post mark questions here.
Traintime
contributor

Dohrmann Companies--Maker or not?

Postby Traintime » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:12 pm

An online record of a silverplated creamer manufactured for the Atlantic Refining Company in the early 1900's era apparently carries one of the Dohrmann company names in place of a maker mark. I previously knew of their flatware marked Dohrmann or DOHRCO, but had largely considered this as part of their commercial supply work under the Dohrman Hotel Supply subsidiary. Trademark registrations indicate the used the name far earlier than the filing date. The buildings they occupied during the 1890's (and afterward, expansions) may have been earlier used by a San Francisco Jewelry Firm which apparently also worked in gold and silver plating. This firm (listed at 124 Sutter Street) had brought in a motor and unspecified equipment which I can't say was for manufacturing of plate, but has me wondering. Close inspection of Dohrmann's growth shows this to have been a very aggressive firm...no grass growing under their feet. Could they have actually been manufacturing silverplate like the Albert Pick company did in the east? Here is a (non-commercial?) link to a bio on the family head and the company structure: https://www.immigrantentrepreneurship.o ... hp?rec=241

Dohrman lease documents related to U.C. Berkeley (apparently controlling the buildings) have be posted on-line.

Traintime
contributor

Re: Dohrmann Companies--Maker or not?

Postby Traintime » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:43 pm

Some added notes on Dohrmann--In 1907, they bought out the stock of Albert Pick in San Francisco (appears to be the priod when Pick retrenches to the east and drops San Francisco from their china marks). Previous records on the closing of the Anglo-American Crockery Co. (S.F.) in 1910 indicate Dohrmann bought their stock out. A new record found indicates they also assumed all of the accounts of the company. In 1911, the stock was sold off at the Emporium Store, so all of the assumed accounts would have to carry Dohrmann marked items after this.
Dohrmann flatware (mainly forks and spoons) surfaces regularly but never in groups. Along with their marks, some pieces carry line or pattern names. Quality varies. Some knives carry old style blades, so perhaps related to an early production era. I personally have not encountered any topmarked pieces for users that I can recall. (This could help in dating.)
Dohrmann operated at least Seattle to San Diego, and Hawaii to Montana. Their full operating territory is not yet clear. They have also been listed among naval supply bidders, and did work for the US Maritime Commission related to Victory Ships.

Traintime
contributor

Re: Dohrmann Companies--Maker or not?

Postby Traintime » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:03 pm

An oddity..A pickle/seafood fork backstamped "DOHRCO PACIFIC A-1 PLUS" is topmarked (stamped) "SYMMES". If this is Symmes Cafe on Ocean Park Avenue south of Santa Monica, this likely puts Dohrmann in Southern California before 1920. It would also confirm the early use of their own mark on commercial silverware. (This is not yet conclusive.)

Return to “General Questions”