I hope you guys like a challenge...The subject is Claret jugs!

Do not post mark questions here.
bash

I hope you guys like a challenge...The subject is Claret jugs!

Post by bash »

Hello!

I need help identifying this jug.

This is the ONLY image i've been able to find online after 2 hours of staring at jugs online (lol) and the URL link is dead.

my assumptions:

- I believe it is a 'claret jug' judging by the shape?
- It has I think a lion holding a shield on the top of the lid
- I think the handle is glass and not metal; it also doesn't attach to the lid by the looks of the picture
- Perhaps Birmingham or London made??

All of these really are mainly guesswork except for the lion, pretty sure i'm correct on that. Ive tried charles boyton, John Wilmin Figg, Horace Woodward, W & C Sissons to no avail.

Please help!!! I would be so grateful if someone can shed some light on this allusive piece! I;ve tried to give all the research notes I can.

NB, I know it's irritating but i'm looking for this exact jug; found plenty which are very close but not quite right.

Closest i've found is by Charles Boyton:

http://www.johntaylors.com/catalogues/0107/pics/A41.jpg
bash

Re: I hope you guys like a challenge...The subject is Claret jugs!

Post by bash »

Almost immediately I found more pictures through a random pinterest/google search. This one sold in march, no info on who made it though.

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

In order to help you we must see pictures of your claret jug and in particular of any marks which you might be able to find on the metal. Note that I use the word metal rather than silver because I am assuming that you have not found a silver hallmark; otherwise you would not need to be asking your question. In the absence of a hallmark we have to assume that it is, at best, elelectroplated. All of the names which you have suggested are known silversmiths but I think it is more likely to have been made by an electroplater. Look hard for some marks and, if you find any, post a clear picture here.

Phil
bash

Post by bash »

silvermakersmarks wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum.

In order to help you we must see pictures of your claret jug and in particular of any marks which you might be able to find on the metal. Note that I use the word metal rather than silver because I am assuming that you have not found a silver hallmark; otherwise you would not need to be asking your question. In the absence of a hallmark we have to assume that it is, at best, elelectroplated. All of the names which you have suggested are known silversmiths but I think it is more likely to have been made by an electroplater. Look hard for some marks and, if you find any, post a clear picture here.

Phil

Phil,

Unfortunately I do not own one yet, i'm trying to find one for sale. I was hoping someone would maybe recognise it and be able tell me who it was made by etc.

The person who was selling this one in the pictures said there was either a 91 or 61 engraved on the inside of the lid but that was it. So possibly not that old??
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Trying my best to help.
Found this one,too and the description by the seller is not professional at all.
The silver rim and finial cleaned "like" silver.
There is no such a thing as ``cleaned`` like silver. It`s either silver or not (silver plated).
The only mark I found is under the top of the lid and is either a 91 or 61, no other markings.
If the seller searched well and found only 91 or 61, then it`s silver plated. Although, sometimes marks are hidden within the decor but British marks cannot be missed that easily.
Another issue:the glass looks pressed, not fully cut, but images are too small to tell for sure.
Depends what you want to buy. It costs only a fraction of Victorian cut glass silver mounted, fully marked claret jugs.
And last but not least,I never buy silver online, and remember; you get what you pay for.
Regards
bash

Post by bash »

To be honest i'm not all that bothered whether it's silver or not. Pressed/cut/crystal whatever. I'm just looking for this exact jug.

Thanks for all your help so far guys!

Return to “General Questions”