In older posts German letters turn into symbols e.g. Lösch. schöne Grüße
Is it possible to restore the original?
Thanks
dognose
Site Admin

Re: German letters

Post by dognose »

Hi AG2012,

The problem that occurred with the characters was due to the database becoming slightly corrupted during an update, It was unfortunate, but it's just one of those things that happens sometimes. Unfortunately many hundreds of posts were affected, but, as and when time permits they are slowly being corrected.

Please be patient with us, there are many unseen tasks required to be done when running a forum, but be assured we will get there.

Trev.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi Trev,
Just wanted to make sure what happened.I do understand it`s not easy to run one of the best forums on the net.And when I suggest people to search 925-1000 I feel proud to have contributed within my powers.
Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Ag2012,

Regarding this problem, I posted the following in the "website updates" forum back in May of 2015.
Foreign alphabetic characters and punctuation:
The new version of the forum supports Asian and Cyrillic fonts and they should render correctly in any current/future posts. The characters that were corrupted in all pre-upgrade posts are being manually recoded.
Thus far, all pre-March 2015 posts containing Asian characters have been recoded to render properly.
Cyrillic rendering problems have been corrected as far back as Sept. 2012 and the work is ongoing to correct the balance.
There is no doubt that I have missed some posts that will need correction. Please feel free to send me a PM with the url of any message that I have missed and I will be happy to recode it. (this applies to all Asian character problems, any Cyrillic problems after Oct.2012, and any Arabic, Urdu, etc.. from any time - punctuation alone is not being addressed at this time)
At this point I've manually recoded more than a thousand posts and, to be honest, have run out of the steam needed to search for any others. However, I'd be happy to recode any posts that I've missed. Just send me a PM with a link to any garbled posts that you discover.

Regards, Tom
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Thank you Tom,
Will take care to choose my older posts with more important German and Austrian makers, i.e. avoiding posts that do not contribute much.
Regards

Return to “General Questions”