About restoration

Do not post mark questions here.
Dael69

About restoration

Post by Dael69 »

Hello guys im looking for some feedback here. I am about to get a water pitcher from Spain, 1860.

I know most silver pieces can be restored and the restoration depends on the damage and it is usually very expensive. Known this, I would like to know your comments on restoring or not this piece:
JLDoggett
co-admin

Re: About restoration

Post by JLDoggett »

what kind of restoration were you considering?
Dael69

Post by Dael69 »

Full restoration I guess, doesn't look nice as it is but it has a good design.
Joerg
contributor

Post by Joerg »

Hi
As always, the right suggestion depends on a lot of parameters. Is it silver or silverplated? When was it made and who is the maker? Is it just a nice piece for you or does it bear a sentimental value? What do you want to use it for?
I see some dents below the monogram, but generally the piece does not look too bad in a condition. I think a good cleaning by hand with a silber polish will already do a lot. If it is silverplated I would not do more. If it is silver it depends on the factors above. For example if you want to use it you need to do a good cleaning of the inside, too. You can have the dents removed, but this will not increase the value significantly. I do not see the marks, but I assume the item's market value is not more than the scrap silver. So you really need to have some sentimental value with it if you bring it to a silversmith for restoration. However, probably, if you clean the dents with silver polish they will be hardly visible. And it adds character. Additionally, if you want it for daily use, a few dents are no issue.
Check the handle. It should be firm for daily use. This fixing is rather simple and should be done. If you just put it up for display, clean it and leave the condition as is.
Regards

Jörg
Dael69

Post by Dael69 »

Thank you for your imput Jorg. It is stamped for "Marquina-Espuñes". I know that some of their work are in Spain Museum (National museum of decorative arts) see: http://ceres.mcu.es/pages/Main?idt=6174 ... useum=MNAD
They also made some work for queen Isabel II of Spain and Alfonso XII, even though, They work is not really documented on the web.

I don't really know if I should clean/restore it because of the artisans history with the royalty.

It is safe just to clean it up and take new pics or just clean where the marks are? It is better to keep it like I found it and bring it to an expert in case it has some intrinsic value?

I guess Im gonna keep it like it is and bring it to someone that knows about Spanish silvercraft.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Dael69

Post by Dael69 »

Trev, thank you very much. I was looking for "Espuñes" (spanish) and did not search for "Espunes" (english). They have a lot of history indeed and probably recognized in Spain. I think I wont clean it yet until I do some more search.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Silversmithing for beginners:
We use a snarling iron fixed to bench vice at 1, the object is placed over the end of snarling iron end ball against the dent at 2 and hammered at 3. The ball end vibrates against the dent from inside. Clip-on vice is rather cheap and easily found. Snarling iron, length 43 cm and head size 2, 5 cm costs about £70.
What I consider ``professional`` repair is e.g. hard soldering, hinges repair etc.
Dael69

Post by Dael69 »

Here is a pic of the marks, just cleaned a bit the surface for the foto. I think Trev would love to have it cuz the only source I found the mark, was a draw that Jose Luis has in his web.

If you want me to make a new topic I would.

Thank you for the help guys.

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Many thanks for posting an image of the marks, it is appreciated.

See here for the reason of the two marks: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&p=101899

Trev.
Dael69

Post by Dael69 »

O.o So the mark of the Madrid court assayer means that this piece was for the royal family or something like that?
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

No, it is the mark of the appointed assayer, nothing more.

Trev.
Dael69

Post by Dael69 »

Citing Jorg: "I assume the item's market value is not more than the scrap silver." I guess I can practice my cleaning skills then.

Thank you Trev for the valuable info, I learned much about spanish silver.
Joerg
contributor

Post by Joerg »

Even if it is a valuable piece, cleaning is a normal process and should be done. Just search this forum on the many posts on cleaning silver. As long as you do not use a mechanical tool, and not use any hard or metal objets in the cleaning there is no danger. Do it by hand, using a silver cleaner and some cotton.
Much success Jörg
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Joerg has given very sound advice. In short, tarnish and patina are two very different things!. It`s better to clean newly acquired silver to prevent green ``patina`` corroding silver.

Return to “General Questions”