Reference Books - What do you use?

Do not post mark questions here.
marklittler

Reference Books - What do you use?

Post by marklittler »

Hi,

I have a good collection of UK reference works but my 'world collection' is in need of some help! Can anyone recommend any purchases?

Currently I have:
Jan Divis - Silver Marks of the World
Tardy - International Hallmarks
Hallmark Research Institute - World Hallmarks (although the marks are much clearer the scope of this book is very narrow and in many cases does not go to the early 19th century which is a little misleading IMO)
G Watts - Russian Silversmiths

I am ideally interested in makers reference books. France, Germany, etc. I understand many of these publications are in their native language so a google search is fruitless.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be MOST welcome! Thanks again 925.
JayT
contributor

Re: Reference Books - What do you use?

Post by JayT »

Here are the standard references for Paris makers' marks. Sadly they are out-of-print, and when available on the secondary market cost into the low four figures, although you might get lucky at auction.

Pre-Revolutionary Paris makers from the fourteenth until late eighteenth centuries:

Nocq, Henry. Le Poinçon de Paris. Paris, Fleury, 1927. 5 volumes.

Post-Revolutionary Paris makers from 1798 until present:

Arminjon, Catherine et al. Dictionnaire des poinçons de fabricants d'ouvrages d'or et d'argent de Paris et de la Seine.. v. I, 1798-1838 and v. II, 1838-1875. Paris, Imprimerie Nationale, 1991 and 1994.

Because of high production costs the planned v. III of this work - makers from 1875-present - is available only online at the French Ministry of Culture website.

There is not one comprehensive, up-to-date reference for French provincial makers, but rather a patchwork of books by region by various authors.

Hope this helps.
marklittler

Post by marklittler »

Hi,

Thanks for this information. Like you say it is an expensive book to get hold of!

Another one I have found is Stephan Welz Cape Silver & Silversmiths. I will update with any others I find.
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

My library of books and documents on silver, is almost entirely virtual either because I scanned parts of books borrowed from public libraries, either because I scanned my own books to be able to consult them with greater convenience.
Does anyone know what are the laws that allow or prohibit the exchange of these documents?
Regards
Amena
JLDoggett
co-admin

Post by JLDoggett »

Amena, a lot depends on the copyright laws of the country where the book was published. Most countries recognize the 27-year copyright limit anything older than that (that has not been issued as a new edition) may be shared. Many countries do not make a distinction for electronic versus hard copies of a document.
marklittler

Post by marklittler »

Another good book (but rare as hens teeth it seems):
"Australian Jewellers, Gold and Silversmiths Makers and Marks" by Cavill, Cocks and Grace

Trying to find a copy now....
marklittler

Post by marklittler »

Good reference work for Portuguese silver:

Manuel Goncalves Vidal & Fernando Moitinho de Almeida

Return to “General Questions”