Testing silver

Do not post mark questions here.
Dael69

Testing silver

Post by Dael69 »

Can we use the same acid technique for testing gold 18k on silver?

Just wondering.

Dael69
JLDoggett
co-admin

Re: Testing silver

Post by JLDoggett »

Technique, yes, solution, no. The acid that would test 18kt gold is much stronger than used on silver. Silver is typically tested with a solution that give a colour change to indicate % of silver content.
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

I don't completely agree with Doggett.
I always use the solution that changes colour and becomes red for testing silver, but I met a talented silversmith that used the liquid for gold 18 k and he was able to recognize the purity by the amount of white (he said "milk") that resulted from the reaction.
He said that if you have enough experience (which I have not) the liquid for gold 18 k works better.
Regards
Amena
Dael69

Post by Dael69 »

Now after several tests I can understand that about the milk. Since I have just 18k gold acid test I made several tests with silver and I noticed that the mark on the stone is always removed but when I test silver it become a white liquid (milk) floating on the acid. Im pretty sure the floating "milk" is pure silver.

Problem with this test is that if you test a silverplated object you also see the milk, so you need some experience to be able to messure the quantity of pure silver that remains from your scratch.

I also use some clorine solution and test with magnets before using the acid.

Return to “General Questions”