Scottish Provincial Silversmiths book advice

Do not post mark questions here.
Scotprov

Scottish Provincial Silversmiths book advice

Post by Scotprov »

In 2003, I published my Directory of Scottish Provincial Silversmiths & their Marks. Having sold out, I am now working on the production of an illustrated version as a follow up. This will have the addition of about 800 sets of marks illustrated, ignoring ABC-, CAB-type variations, plus all the updates to the original listings, seen, and added, over the years.
The new book will have a few pages of preparatory information, followed by the updated Alphabetical listing.
The Great Plan is to display the makers’ marks two or three to a line, 20-30 per A5 page, thus giving clear identification, each labelled AB 1 — 250; WK 1 — 8, plus maker’s name, as applicable. Both listings will be annotated as to photo number for easy identification.
As I have been working, four possible ways of presenting these marks have so far occurred to me:-
1. The full alphabetical listing, then, the separate town marks, as in the original Directory, followed by 15-20 double sided pages of marks in their town groupings, in alphabetical order, separated by the Town name.
2. The full alphabetical listing, followed by the lists of town marks, each town having the associated pages of photos of marks following, so both are somewhat split up.
3. The full alphabetical listing, followed by the town sections with the listings of marks' on the left pages, and relevant pages of photos facing their town listing, as they are mentioned.
4. The full alphabetical listing on the left pages, faced by the related photos of the marks on the opposite page, town listings to follow, as in the original.
Each method has positive and adverse points, so I have been checking with leading dealers, auctioneers and collectors as to which presentation they consider most user-friendly.
When I asked Trev, he suggested that this forum would be an ideal way to discover the preferred format for collectors. I would be most grateful for all suggestions on the layout preferred.
In anticipation, very many thanks for your help.
Richard
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Scottish Provincial Silversmiths book advice

Post by dognose »

Hi Richard,

Firstly, let me say that I'm delighted to hear the news of your forthcoming publication. Your 2003 book, a 'Directory of Scottish Provincial Silversmiths & their Marks' was always, and still is, a very useful resource, and a fully illustrated version should prove to be even more useful.

My vote would be for option 3.

Good luck with your new venture.

Regards, Trev.
Scotprov

Post by Scotprov »

many thanks, Trev.
Richard
robert12
contributor

Post by robert12 »

Hi Richard,

looking forward to your new updated version of your directory.
My preference is for option 1.

Cheers Bob
Scotprov

Post by Scotprov »

Many thanks, Bob.
Richard
Scotprov

Post by Scotprov »

I really would be very grateful for some more feedback from collectors. Most of the feedback I have been able to gather so far, is from dealers and auctioneers, but collectors' views are very important to ensure getting the book lay-out correct for the majority.
This is not just a sneaky way of advertising its advent, I am interested and still have time to tailor it.
Richard
dartsil
contributor

Post by dartsil »

Number 4 would be my first choice, however any of the above mentioned would be fine.

This publication would be a great addition to the exsisting publication.

Please contact me when its ready as I will have a copy no matter how you decide to lay it out.
rarecollector7

Post by rarecollector7 »

Hello,

I'm a collector of vintage/antique jewelry & silverware. I've dealt with many terrible set ups and a few good ones in my previous book buying binges. I can't say I have seen your book, I haven't bought it yet.

If you would like more comments and help I suggest taking a picture of each one and labeling it 1-4. Understanding the layout is much easier visually.
I wish you the best and await for your response!

-alex, a fellow collector.
Scotprov

Post by Scotprov »

Hello Alex,
Many thanks for your reponse, apologies for the delay in coming back, but I have been so deep in the book, having arrived at the Great Plan result.
The new book will have the 800+ photographs deployed on pages facing the town lists.
You will not have seen the new book as it is not yet finished, and, as the previous book is out of print, the only ones available are second hand. The problem with that, I am pleased to say, is that the majority of owners have found it so useful, that they are not selling it, at present.

Regards,
Richard
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Richard's long awaited book - Illustratrated Directory of Scottish Provincial Silversmiths & Their Marks - has now been published, and the wait was well worthwhile.

The book contains details of over 2,000 sets of marks, and is profusely illustrated with over 800 images of them.

I'm sure a PM to Scotprov will provide all the information required to acquire a copy.

Trev.

Return to “General Questions”