Faberge thimbles

Do not post mark questions here.
william

Faberge thimbles

Post by william »

Help please! Is any one aware of any thimbles that were made in Faberge workshops please?
Zolotnik

Re: Faberge thimbles

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi -
the only thimbles from Fabergé I have seen are faked. Enclosed are some photos of a "Fedor Rückert/Fabergé" fake-thimble - you can buy them in different shapes. See the fishy quality!!

Regards
Zolotnik
JLDoggett
co-admin

Post by JLDoggett »

I recall years ago a couple at A La Vieille Russie, while they carry a lot of Faberge, thay also carry items by other makers. You might chech with them on the production and availability, as I believe they have many of the Faberge production records.
william

Post by william »

Thanks! I think that the 'fake' is fairly often seen on eBay and ALVR do not seem to have any thimbles at the moment.

I still wonder whether any other real Faberge thimbles are around some where?
JLDoggett
co-admin

Post by JLDoggett »

I suspect there were some made though they would be hard to find. In my family there is a pair of Faberge knitting needles and a pin-cushion, so it makes sense there would be timbles and possibly thimble cases. It was a time when sewing was an acceptable past-time for the ladies of leasure, and it was a time when Artisans like those at Faberge turned the mundain into the ultimate of luxury. I have handled ones by Tiffany and Cartier so a Faberge one seems logical.
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi JLDogett -
the very well documented authentic output of the firm of Fabergé has not much to show about these utensils. As a Fabergé collector I would be very interested to see some photos (marks!!) of the knitting needles and the pin-cushion belonging to your family.

Regards
Zolotnik
william

Post by william »

Hi Zolotnik

Since I found this Faberge discussion I was wondering whether any one reading it might know some more about Faberge thimbles — hence my original question. Some time ago my wife and I wrote a paper about Faberge thimbles, and we were just seeking more information please?

https://sites.google.com/site/moreabout ... e-thimbles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or

http://fly.hiwaay.net/~christel/discove ... imbles.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi William -

thank you very much for for your welldone article and the honest recherche. My experience with Fabergé related objects came more or less to the same conclusions - not only thimbles! There are many wellknown "black sheeps" I want not to name here - but you know them anyway. Fabergé business as usual!
Thanks again!

Regards
Zolotnik
JLDoggett
co-admin

Post by JLDoggett »

You wrote a wonderful article, well researched and tyhoughtful. Thank you.

Now I will have to convince my cousins to get their pieces verified. Though they were bought in Russia at the time of the revolution, and are in fitted boxes one never knows.
william

Post by william »

Thank you both for your kind words - I'll keep hunting!

William

Return to “General Questions”