Question About 'Sterling' Silver

Do not post mark questions here.
mrs vintage

Question About 'Sterling' Silver

Post by mrs vintage »

This seems to be the most appropriate location for what is probably a really basic question. I have thought for years that something marked 'sterling' denoted a fixed standard of quality in the silver used in the object, being guaranteed to have 925 parts per thousand as silver.

Trawling around this site and elsewhere, I see other countries use the 'sterling' standard on stamped objects also.

Does this mean countries which use the 'sterling' mark are also guaranteeing the standard of the silver ?

Hope someone can help. Thank you to anyone who takes the time to answer. Best regards.
ValkyrieVixen
contributor

Re: Question About 'Sterling' Silver

Post by ValkyrieVixen »

925 is a worldwide sterling standard.
piette
contributor

Post by piette »

Hello,
Sterling silver (.925) is a worldwide standard used for silver which is believed to have originated in the area which is now Norther Germany, in the 12th century. It is an alloy of 92.5% silver and 7.5% other metals (usually copper).
As for objects being marked 'sterling' I would be dubious of them myself. It is not difficult to aquire a '.925' or 'sterling' stamp on the internet. It is always best to buy objects fully hallmarked in accordance with the silver hallmarking system for the country of origin - unless ofcourse you are able to test the alloy to make sure it is sterling silver.
Regards,
Piette
silverly

Post by silverly »

piette wrote: It is always best to buy objects fully hallmarked in accordance with the silver hallmarking system for the country of origin...
That is definitely the best if you live in a country that has such a system. I think the British hallmarking system is the greatest.

However, many of us do not live in countries that have guilds to assay and mark goods, and we learn to work with simpler markings which taken together with trademarks can be fairly reliable.

Hallmarks can also be counterfeited.
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

I buy so much silver that others mistake for plated - due to the fact that I know and they dont. Enjoy this silver that is 250 years old - sold as plated but is genuine silver as any can dream on.
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 47&t=23049" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mrs vintage

Post by mrs vintage »

Thank you very much to everyone who replied - both items I have are dated to the 1930's by other means, so I trust the 'sterling silver' mark is correct. My sincere thanks again.

Kind regards

Mrs S

Return to “General Questions”