Is there a registry of hallmarks of Native American Jewelry

Do not post mark questions here.
carroll

Is there a registry of hallmarks of Native American Jewelry

Post by carroll »

Recently I posted an inquiry here asking about the maker of a bolo tie that I own. Thankfully, a member answered my question.

As a new member of this forum, I want to ask two questions that might have been answered before in this forum.

I have a few bolo ties, but many more jewelry of Native Americans from the Southwest that I purchased for my wife. These are necklaces, bracelets, rings, and broaches. Nearly all have image hallmarks, a few have embossed letters.

First, is there a book or other kinds of registry that identifies the makers of Indian jewelry from their hallmark? If so, where can one obtain same?

Second, is there a recommended way of preserving the jewelry? For example, I purchased for my wife (about 20 years ago) a necklace of beads made of silver, each bead embroidered with a Hopi-style insignia -- each bead was larger the one closer to the neck until it met the bottom then the beads became smaller back around to the neck hook. The weight of the necklace was substantial. My wife grew tired of polishing each bead with a cloth, so for the past 15 years the necklace has dwelled in a bank deposit vault.

In that deposit vault, much other of her Indian jewelry lies dormant. I guess it is tarnishing at a satisfactory rate. Should I remove & polish the jewelry, or simply let it become black with age? If my wife doesn't want to wear same, maybe my offspring will, or perhaps they will sell it after I croak.
2209patrick
co-admin

Re: Is there a registry of hallmarks of Native American Jewe

Post by 2209patrick »

Hello.

Barton Wright's book "Hallmarks of the Southwest" is good.

Pat.
Linda Pugh

Post by Linda Pugh »

I heard that common blackboard chalk would prevent silver from turning black. I placed a few pieces of clalk in the jewelry drawer with my silver and it seems to work! Some "shading" is preferable to completely polished silver as it shows the details & etchings better. But the chalk has kept my pieces looking nice.
Linda
ValkyrieVixen
contributor

Post by ValkyrieVixen »

The Wright book is good but there are errors and being 10 years old is missing a lot of marks. It's a good starting point but further research is needed to verify the style corresponds with the name found, often there are marks that are similar but not the same and many letter marks are used by more people than listed. NA mark identification is much more complicated than other styles.
Bille Hougart who wrote the Mexican hallmark book is coming out with SW/NA hallmark book at the end of the summer that will hopefully be even better.

Return to “General Questions”